Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 57 in a 30
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
57_in_a_30
I was driving to work a couple of weeks ago and was stuck behind two cars both doing about 22mph. I gave them some space, checked nothing was coming from the other side and overtook them.

As I needed to go past both of them, I needed to go quite fast but my intention was to slow down straight away. Problem was that I got caught by an officer with a speed gun who just happened to be in my aunts front garden behind a wall.

I was doing 57 when he snapped me. He also said "I know you were only over taking and it wasn't your constant speed, but I'm just doing my job."

I don't have any points on my licence and have never been caught speeding. If I get a ban I'll lose my job, but for the sake of one manoeuvre I don’t really want to pay £300-£600...

Can anyone help me? I'd rather spend £500 on a solicitor and get off if theres a chance..

jobo
youl do well to get a solicitor for only 500 quid, times that by two or even 3

i take it you were pulled up at the time ?

id get my aunt to complain about them being in her garden, it wont help you, but might make you feel a bit better

your up against it to be honest. technical defences based on them not using the gun properly are very difficult to do and unless there are issues about the legality of the 30 limit ? thats all youve got

your right on the nub of getting a short ban and by short id say a couple of weeks or so, or 6 points

do you all ready have points or are you within two years of passing your test ?
57_in_a_30
Thought as much, no points and I've had my licence for more than 2 years...

Should I just plead guilty on the form or go to court?
jobo
depends what out come you want, some people prefer a short ban to 6 points

going and grovelling will help you get the outcome you want more than just sending a letter

you could run a prove it defence and hope the cps cock up, but its a bit of a long shot, and it will up the fine a fair bit and your likely to lo0ose any sympathy, re the ban or length of ban
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.