Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caught for the first time :(
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
kizzers
Hi all,

This is the first time I've had any contact with a PC, so its new to me!

I got caught by a PC with a speed gun, doing 52 in a 30. I was behind a lorry, he was stood on the central island in the dark, on a dual carriageway. He stopped me, talked me through it and issued a FPN. Said he was going to breathalyse me aswell, but forgot to in the end,

Ive got home, and had 2 thoughts.

1.The FPN states A358 "Henlade", but i was stopped in Ruishton, 1.1miles away and on a different road to Henlade http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sour...mp;t=h&z=18

2. The speed limit recently changed on this road, from 40 to 30. However, as far as i remember, a 40 repeater sign remains just before this area, could that affect this? Im going to check tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

kizzers
The Rookie
No Vague locus defence, you were stopped at the scene and cannot possibly be mislead as to where the offence occurred!

If there are 40 repeater signs within the 30 this may provide a defence, you'll need to give far more detail than you have, how far into the 30 were you, how many repeaters say 40, is it in s system of street lighting etc.

Simon

EDIT as Durzel points out even if it was a 40 you were speeding.....same penalty
Durzel
52 in a 30 would - if detected by a camera - typically attract a court summons leading to 6 points and a means-tested fine. The fact you've been given a FPN (3 poitns/£60) as opposed to being cautioned that you would be reported for the offence is a stroke of luck all things considered.

I would be mindful of the fact that even if the signage was non-compliant and the road was actually a 40 - you'd still have been breaking the speed limit at 52mph and the punishment would be the same.
ford poplar
Inconsitencies:
OP states

1 "I got caught by a PC with a speed gun, doing 52 in a 30. I was behind a lorry, he was stood on the central island in the dark, on a dual carriageway. He stopped me, talked me through it and issued a FPN. " Brave PC!
2 "The speed limit recently changed on this road, from 40 to 30. " Was the OP aware of this prior to being stopped?

As previously stated 52 is still excess speed for 40 or 30 and the FPN penalty is the most lenient available unless acquitted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.