Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long does it usually take to be prosecuted?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Kte
I had an accident at the end of May. I am the driver at fault as I hit the other car, it was a minor incident. I was told at the time I didn't have insurance by my insurance company however though MIB say I was covered (there was a DD dispute). That aside, I had to go to the police and they said I would be prosecuted, I filled in a statement at the station and that was that, I have heard nothing since. How long does it usually take to be prosecuted? I am having trouble getting insured (at the right price) whilst I have a prosecution pending. I have never had any other offences before so hoping it doesn't come to a ban, I really want to get back on the road!
nemo
QUOTE (Kte @ Mon, 16 Aug 2010 - 15:55) *
How long does it usually take to be prosecuted?

Could be a little while yet..

The police have 6 calendar months to commence court proceedings, starting from the date that they considered there was sufficient evidence to warrant the proceedings.
The Rookie
Be sure to check your insurance status, to cancel your insurance the company needs to write and inform you before they do so, the procedure should be in your policy documents, if they didn't comply with their own procedure, you were insured and you should make them 'do the right thing'.

Simon
glasgow_bhoy
If your found not guilty of the offence you could always raise an action against the insurers who claimed you were uninsured for the diffrence in cost of insurance with a prosecution pending and the price it should have been..
Kte
Thanks for your help / advice all smile.gif

The 6 months prospect scares me! ohmy.gif

There was some confusion with the insurance as they said I had to pay in so many days otherwise they would cancel the policy, they wouldn't accept installments for my areas and then I had the accident. Insurance company said I wasn't covered but The MIB have said that as I had not had an offical letter stating from them that it was cancelled I am still covered and have to produce my insurance certificate to them (MIB).

I was unsure if this is what is holding up the procecution or if they were unrelated.

I guess it's just a waiting game now.

Thanks again!
peterguk
QUOTE (Kte @ Tue, 17 Aug 2010 - 14:19) *
There was some confusion with the insurance as they said I had to pay in so many days otherwise they would cancel the policy, they wouldn't accept installments for my areas and then I had the accident.

Was this via a telephone conversation with you? If so, and they produce a recording, i would suspect that would trump what the MIB says...
The Rookie
I suggest you get onto the insurance company ASAP and get them to explain themselves, the best way out of this is for them to agree you were actually insured at the time.

When they said they would cancel the policy, presumably they gave a deadline? Had that deadline passed?

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.