Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: safety camera van question
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
qwerty12
Hi, I was driving down a 40mph stretch of road on wednesday when i spotted a safety camera van parked by the side of the road. My speedometer read approx 48mph but i'm pretty sure it reads a bit high. There was a man sitting in the driving seat of the van who appeared to be looking down at his lap, and the van was parked sideways onto the road (i.e. as if it was pulling out of a side road).

So my question is, are the vans usually parked parallel with the road when in operation? and is there usually more than one officer in them? as i didn't notice if there was another operator pointing a camera out the window.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
3phase278
QUOTE (qwerty12 @ Fri, 6 Aug 2010 - 20:21) *
So my question is, are the vans usually parked parallel with the road when in operation? and is there usually more than one officer in them? as i didn't notice if there was another operator pointing a camera out the window.

Yep parallel frequently, as per situated upon motorway bridges

No idea on how many could be in van.

They have rear windows too - will say I've never seen a parallel park on my travels when not on motorway or d/c - always back window - maybe if it's a tight A road they could not park on, then they decided to go parallel?

Anyways - give it 14 days if you are long term registered keeper, then you will know - post here if you get the NIP.
redloner
My local SCP uses vans with an openable rear window manned by a single occupant.

The occupant has to be in the rear of the vehicle to target potential offenders.

At 48, you can only hope you were doing closer to 45 and that the SCP is following ACPO guidelines and only prosecuting offences of 10% + 2mph, or 46+ in a 40.

As 3phase said, you have a nervous couple of weeks...
qwerty12
The road isn't too narrow and there is a layby right next to where he was parked which is why I found it odd he had chosen to park facing out of someones driveway (with the back of the van facing a house, so no chance of using the back windows).

Oh well, as you say, I suppose I will just have to wait and see, thanks for the replies!
captain swoop
QUOTE (qwerty12 @ Fri, 6 Aug 2010 - 20:42) *
The road isn't too narrow and there is a layby right next to where he was parked which is why I found it odd he had chosen to park facing out of someones driveway (with the back of the van facing a house, so no chance of using the back windows).

Oh well, as you say, I suppose I will just have to wait and see, thanks for the replies!

On the A66 vans park at 90 degrees to the carriageway and use the side windows on the dual carriageway on the Stainmore Summit. They get people coming over the top and down the hill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.