Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LTI 20/20 at 600m HAND HELD
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
chilly
SUMMARY

Stopped on the M4 at 1am in Dec 2005 by Wiltshire Constabulary patrol car.  2 PCs were up on a ramp in their car and had zapped me at a distance of just over 600m with LTI 20/20 used in hand held mode.

Alleged speed: 104MPH

Verbal NIP given, summoned to magistrates court 2 months later.

I have been representing myself in court, but have employed one of the solicitors who advertise on this site to prepare arguments and deal with CPS.

I am the registered keeper of the vehicle, hold a full UK licence with 3 points on it.

MY DEFENCE

Since the LTI 20/20 was not mounted on a tripod, the reading cannot be relied upon at this distance (a deflection of only 1.85mm of the end of the gun is enough for the beam to change lanes).  This is compounded by the fact that the carriageway was unlit, it was a cloudy night, it was pitch black and there was other traffic on the road (the officers had first seen me "overtaking other vehicles").

CURRENT STATUS

Pleaded guilty to speeding, but at 85MPH not 104MPH

Attended PTH in Feb, then main hearing last week, having sent the CPS a copy of my technical arguments.  I discussed the case with the prosecutor before the court session who then informed me that he had never seen my arguments before.  It turns out the CPS had failed to send them to the prosecutor, despite having them for over 2 weeks.  Hearing adjourned.  They are now going to examine my arguments and report back to the court at an "administrative hearing" in 3 weeks, which I do not need to attend.  At this stage they will state whether they are dropping the case or going for full prosecution.

ADVICE NEEDED!

I am trying to gather evidence to prove that the LTI 20/20 is unreliable when used in hand held mode above 400m.  I note from several websites that the device has been banned in the states above 400m unless used on a tripod.

What I could really do with is the following:

1) The LTI 20/20 user's manual
2) Some concrete evidence/copies of reports about the findings in the USA
3) Any other decent evidence that shows the device should be on a tripod at this distance!

Any ideas where I can lay my hands on any of this info?

Any other comments on this welcome.

Many thanks

Mark  smile.gif
Tinytim
Here are a few bits for you, do you know which model of LTI 20/20 was used (speedscope or ultralyte)?

© ACPO 2004 Version 2.3 Page 68 of 110
14.8 Radio Interference Police radio transmitters, whether hand-held or car mounted, must not be used at the moment a vehicle speed is being measured. While with current analogue radios it has been perfectly safe to leave the receiver on, provided the volume level is at a usable minimum, with digital radios it is necessary to turn the power fully off or use the transmission inhibit switch, unless the separation given in Appendix A can be maintained. The use of any repeater radio in the vicinity of a laser speed meter must be avoided. GSM phones must not be switched on when a laser speedmeter is in use.
http://www.teletrafficuk.com/ultralyte.htm
Note the range on this one! and this (again from ACPO Guide)
14.3 Range
Hand-held devices are capable of measuring vehicle speeds from a minimum range of 50 feet to a maximum of 2,000 feet and recording speeds from a minimum of 5mph to a maximum of 155mph. Operators should avoid carrying out measurements for enforcement purposes at the extremity of the measurement field. Clearly the steadiness of sighting of the hand-held device affects operating range, but does not affect accuracy. In any case the device will not display any speed reading unless a proper 'lock-on' has occurred.
Heavy rain, spray or mist may reduce the range of the laser but will not effect the speed measurement.

Here is the type approval for the speedscope. You will notice a couple of things about it. It is a copy of the actual doc but it's not signed. It states "...activated by means of a light beam or beams." The speedscope is activated by a mechanical switch.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs4/roadsen...lti20201496.pdf
Tinytim
Sorry! Here is the link for the ACPO code of practice.
www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/ Data/RPET%20Manual%20version%202-3.pdf
So when PC says he "...operated in accordance with..." you can jump on the extremes of range as well as him almost certainly having a digital comms device switched on in the vehicle icon_twisted.gif
Insider
www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/RPET%20Manual%20version%202-3.pdf

Fixed link  :wink:
mad
I dont mean to worry you but the magistrates will take the officers word for the speed!In my case an officer hiding with an LTI20/20 claimed that in 400 metres I got from standstill to 96mph and back to stanstill in a 1.6 fiesta !
The magistrate said the officer was a more credible witness never mind the fact that the car couldnt do it and the other car on the road didnt see anything!
Padfoot
2. Airwave (TETRA) Radio and enforcement equipment. ACPO Road Policing Enforcement Technology endeavours to ensure the advice on operating conditions is provided to eliminate the possibility of police equipment or third party equipment affecting the integrity and accuracy of enforcement equipment. Appendix “A” gives advice for all existing devices. All new type approved equipment, not shown in Appendix “A” will be subject to the following advice: Hand held attended actively operated TLEDs not operated within vehicles:– • Can be operated to within 0.2m of a personal 1W TETRA radio and 1.5m of a 3W vehicle mounted TETRA radio. All other attended actively operated TLEDs and automatic supervised TLEDs not operated within vehicles:- • Can be operated to within 1m of a personal 1W TETRA radio and 4m of a 3W vehicle mounted TETRA radio. This advice is offered on the basis that all forces will follow P.I.T.O. guidance and procure Airwave equipment with a transmit power rating of 1 watt (handheld) and 3 watts (vehicle mounted). More powerful radios are available but are not covered by this advice. 2.1 Third Party Interference There is no risk of interference from third party systems if the recommended minimum separation distances are maintained.
© ACPO 2004 Version 2.3 Page 25 of 110

Would be worth checking to see if Wiltshire use Tetra. If they do, then providing the separations are maintained as per this advice, i think they are operating as per guidelines.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Dat...rsion%202-3.pdf
Look at page 87 for the table of recommend separation distances for various different laser devices.  
For Speedscope & Ultralyte the distances are 0.05m for Tetra handset & GSM on belt, and 0.5m for Tetra Mobile & GSM Mobile (presumably these refer to in-car sets?)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.