Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alleged 99 in a 70mph A Road
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
old-man
In January I was stopped after being lasered doing 99 mph on an A road and have just returned from holiday to find my summons on the doormat for the 7th June!

I would have been speeding but do not agree with the 99mph! There was mitigating circumstances (I consider so anyway) due to being cut up twice by a vehicle I accelerated past the vehicle which was basically holding me in the fast lane as we were approching a relatively dangerous slip road. Braking wasnt an option as a car was following me.

The police vehicle was hidden down the slip road out of sight and as such caught me speeding by without seeing the cause of the incident. I believe the police officer didnt follow acpo guidelines - not visible to the public, hidden on the slip road which was over 30ft away from the main carriageway and potentially using the laser from within the car (the position of the car would have made it hard to see me from a passenger side window and when stopped a mile down the road the car was very warm on a cold January day). Finally the police office said he "heard me coming" - what he heard was the big bore exhaust on the corsa not my car, therefore he lasered me on the assumption I was speeding due to the noise of the corsa!

What is my best course of action given the summons is for next Monday! I have a completely clean driving license, no accidents or parking tickets and have been driving for in excess of 22 years and I have done multiple evasive driving courses.

thanks in advance for any helpful advice
jobo
your not going to get any where with the ACPO guidlines

there is a possible technical defence of there not being prior opinion, ie the prior opinion he has was from another cars exhaust note, but i honestly cant see it standing up to scrutiny ????

your mitigation will if anything make matters worse
Logician
I find it difficult to understand what you are saying in mitigation, it sounds like you were being held up by someone ahead of you in the outside lane who had cut you up twice, then he must have pulled in because you passed him, but you accelerated because you were approaching a dangerous slip road? It reads as though you were simply annoyed with another driver and accelerated past him.

You have nothing really to challenge the speed reading with. You may be best simply to plead guilty, be very contrite over a momentary mistake and point to your clean licence. With any luck you will simply get 5/6 points.
old-man
Sorry I didnt elaborate the mitigation.

As I was approaching a roundabout a mile prior to the police vehicle, I was following the corsa. As we approached a roundabout the corsa was indicating left and was in the left lane and I was indicating right in the right lane and approaching the rear of the corsa. It suddenly swerved into my lane causing me to brake very hard. I followed the car around the roundabout and started to overtake again but again it pulled into my lane ( we were heading into roadworks in 800m so I expected this given the previous manouver ). I followed it throught the roadworks and when it pulled in I overtook at approx 70 - it matched my speed! As we approached the slip road I accelerated past the car and the cars we were approaching and then slowed to normal traffic speed and pulled in when appropriate. The Corsa sped past me and I pulled in within 1 mile.

I dont think the Corsa driver was being intentionally stupid, I just think she either was not spatially aware of the vehicles around her or just very inexperienced. I thought my best course of action was to get past her as soon as possible to minimise the chance that she was going to pull into the side of me or head into the oncoming slip road at speed. I have been taught some advanced driving techniques and approaching slip roads two abreast should be avoided if possible. I think I may have been overeager with the throttle!

cheers for the comments though
ict_guy
As already stated, your mitigation is highly unlikely to be helpful - it would most probably have the exact opposite effect.

If anything, 'red mist' comes to mind!! Suited and booted, refering to an extensive driving record with zero points etc etc would be your best bet.
Logician
I agree with ict_guy, avoid any mention of the Corsa at all. Even saying that was the noisy car with the big bore exhaust is unhelpful, it could sound like there was a speeding noisy boy (or girl!) racer and you were determined to go faster.
old-man
Thanks for the advice - I will not mention that!

Has anyone got any helpful advice as to what to say or how to say Im very sorry?

I was advised by one of the evasive driving courses that I should take my IAM test as I shouldnt have any problems - would saying I was going to do that help? I cant apply until after the case as they dont allow it or I'd have done it straight away!

cheers
peterguk
QUOTE (old-man @ Tue, 1 Jun 2010 - 17:02) *
I was advised by one of the evasive driving courses that I should take my IAM test as I shouldnt have any problems - would saying I was going to do that help?

I personally wouldn't mention it. The attitude might be taken by the bench that somone with so much more training should have known better... And that evasive driving should be confined to the likes of Bodie and Doyle...
southpaw82
I hope the OP meant defensive driving.
old-man
Yep defensive driving!

The course was a Honda MAC with a full day one on one driver training in my own car with a former police instructor - they are meant to teach you how to drive your Type R safely and progressively!! They assess your driving, advise how you can improve - cadence braking, "safety bubble", "arrow head technique" and where potential points of danger lie. They show you what the car can do in the hands of an expert and then reevaluate you at the end of the day, hopefully having taken their advise in hand. You can drive how you like, within or outside the law and they called it evasive driving I think (defensive driving sounds better though!!!). I dont think my car was ever driven as hard again as the first course I did - amazing driver.
southpaw82
Cadence braking in a car with ABS? huh.gif

My big book of words say "that's a no-no" wink.gif
old-man
Sorry SouthPaw I used the wrong term - I meant threshold braking which with practise allows you to stop much faster than with ABS!

This has kinda gone off topic - does anyone have a grovelling I'm sorry letter that will help minimize my sentence!

cheers
southpaw82
QUOTE (old-man @ Tue, 1 Jun 2010 - 19:39) *
Sorry SouthPaw I used the wrong term - I meant threshold braking which with practise allows you to stop much faster than with ABS!

That makes more sense.

This has kinda gone off topic - does anyone have a grovelling I'm sorry letter that will help minimize my sentence!

Try this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.