Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 40MPH on the A1M
FightBack Forums > Queries > Technical Discussion of Enforcement Devices
Korting
Whilst the works are being carried out on the A1 (M) in the Hatfield Tunnel, the speed limit is reduced from 70MPH to 40MPH.

I understood that they could only reduce the speed by 20MPH in one go ie from 70 -50 then if the wanted 50 - 40.

Am i correct?

I am always very careful and use the cruise control where possible, but one of my cars doesn't have cruise control and trying to drive a 40MPH on a motorway is quite difficult.

If I am correct does that mean that all NIPs for this stretch of road are invalid?
Rallyman72
Sorry - they can do this. I have it in the back of my mind that it is recommended that reductions are no more than 20mph steps but I'm sure there is nothing in legislation to stop it being more.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (Michael 194 @ Tue, 25 May 2010 - 07:58) *
I understood that they could only reduce the speed by 20MPH in one go ie from 70 -50 then if the wanted 50 - 40.

Am i correct?

No, it's quite legal to reduce the speed limit from 70 to 40.

If I am correct does that mean that all NIPs for this stretch of road are invalid?

I'm afraid not.
Dr Science

Let's face it, they can simply close the road - reducing the speed limit all the way to zero.

If there is no good reason for reducing the limit as low as 40 (i.e. 50 or 60 would do just as well) then in theory you could apply for a judicial review, but unless you feel massively strongly about it, or it risks putting you out of business, life is too short to be doing that kind of thing in this situation.

Dr.S
peterguk

Am i correct?

I think not. I can think of plenty of 60mph NSL down to 30mph through villages etc. near me...
henrik777
Traffic signs management chapter 8 part 1

D3.7.28 Speed reduction should be considered on a case-by-case basis and should involve a site-specifi c risk assessment. Generally for motorways and dual carriageway roads normally subject to the national speed limit, a temporary maximum speed limit should not be less than 40 mph and for other high-speed roads not less than 30 mph. Temporary mandatory speed limits are not required for relaxation works.

Should you get a NIP then you can probably get off if they haven't drawn it up correctly and if it was during the hours of darkness the terminal signs won't have illumination (99.99% sure of that)

Cheers
Korting
Thanks everyone,

So far I havn't got a NIP for this stretch of road, but driving at 40MPH on an empty motorway is actually quite hard, if I am driving a car with cruise control then I simply switch that on but my Citroen doesn't have it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.