Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Variable speed limit camera FLASH(M42 Gantry Gatso)
FightBack Forums > Queries > Technical Discussion of Enforcement Devices
A2Bquickly
Hi All,

First time poster...long term reader!

I'm looking for some advice on the M42 Gantry Gatso and the camera's flash.
I know the Gatso/regular speed camera gives off 2 white flashes, but I'm wondering if the Gantry Gatso does the same?

I was driving on the motorway at the weekend and there were 2 seperate instances where the board with the speed limit (no info on it so assumed it was NSL) lit up.

The 1st instance was late at night and all 4 lanes boards changed to the speed camera picture BUT there was no WHITE flash like a normal Gatso would do.
The 2nd instance, the board quickly flashed a picture twice (I couldn't make it out it was so quick) but again, no WHITE flash.

My question is:

Does the Gantry Gatso produce a flash similar to a camera flash?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Dr Science
QUOTE (A2Bquickly @ Mon, 10 May 2010 - 14:59) *
Hi All,

First time poster...long term reader!

I'm looking for some advice on the M42 Gantry Gatso and the camera's flash.
I know the Gatso/regular speed camera gives off 2 white flashes, but I'm wondering if the Gantry Gatso does the same?

I was driving on the motorway at the weekend and there were 2 seperate instances where the board with the speed limit (no info on it so assumed it was NSL) lit up.

The 1st instance was late at night and all 4 lanes boards changed to the speed camera picture BUT there was no WHITE flash like a normal Gatso would do.
The 2nd instance, the board quickly flashed a picture twice (I couldn't make it out it was so quick) but again, no WHITE flash.

My question is:

Does the Gantry Gatso produce a flash similar to a camera flash?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

The above-lane cameras in variable speed limits do flash twice like the "original" GATSO does. They have some other subtleties though. One is that when the limit changes, the camera does not go "live" for at least a minute.

Also, the radar measures the vehicle speed as it passes under and away from the gantry. If the gantry reacts to a vehicle as it is approaching, then it is likely that the powers that be have added an extra sensor and rigged it into the electronic speed limit display boards to make a vehicle activated sign (VAS) that gives a warning rather than a ticket.

However, the variable limit cameras can be set to enforce the 70 limit whenever the speed limit sign is not showing one of the variable limits - so don't think that the VAS warning can be ignored with impunity - the kind of person who ignores the VAS sign is exactly the kind of person they might choose to target.

Dr.S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.