Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little (urgent) help for my friend
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
davey_weir
A few months ago a friend of mine was driving on a local dual carriageway. A policeman "caught" him speeding using one of these radar guns. It was handheld (ie. not on a tri-pod) and my friend was pulled over.

Now, heres the situation.

He received a producer and produced at the Police station. He had 3 points already for speeding and had been driving for 1 year. So, another 3 points and hes banned.

He didnt hear anything until one week before the 6 month deadline so to speak. When he looked at the stop notice the officer had put the wrong registration on the notice. My mate said nothing.

Now, he has received notification to go to court on Wednesday or plea by post. On the details of the offence the registration of the car is now right yet the car colour is wrong.

My friend has since been made redundant and sold his car.

He wants to plead not guilty by post. I personally believe that
a) he could find something surrounding the use of the handheld radar
b) get it on a formality such as the reg / car colour being incorrect

What does anyone advise??
southpaw82
QUOTE (davey_weir @ Sun, 28 Mar 2010 - 19:34) *
So, another 3 points and hes banned.

No, he's not. His licence will be revoked and he'll have to retake his test.

He wants to plead not guilty by post. I personally believe that
a) he could find something surrounding the use of the handheld radar
b) get it on a formality such as the reg / car colour being incorrect

What does anyone advise??

I advise that you stop giving him bad advice.

1. How are you thinking of discrediting the reading?

2. Slip rule.
davey_weir
Sorry yeah that what I meant - he will have to re-take his test.

So you say plead guilty take the punishment and get on with it? I think them hand held radars are completely unreliable. But then thats my own personal opinion.
dannybhoy1989
out of interest, if a person has to retake their test, will the 12 points go back to 0, and with this, does this mean that when applying for motor insurance, is there the need to disclose that you have had 12 points before, or will it be like starting from scratch?
southpaw82
QUOTE (dannybhoy1989 @ Sun, 28 Mar 2010 - 20:00) *
out of interest, if a person has to retake their test, will the 12 points go back to 0, and with this, does this mean that when applying for motor insurance, is there the need to disclose that you have had 12 points before, or will it be like starting from scratch?

If their licence is revoked any points remain live.
Fredd
QUOTE (dannybhoy1989 @ Sun, 28 Mar 2010 - 19:00) *
out of interest, if a person has to retake their test, will the 12 points go back to 0

No, the points will remain. This has been covered many times before; if you have a general question please search first, and don't hijack other peoples' threads.
davey_weir
So I advised my friend - he decided he would like to try his luck in court. He pled not guilty and awaits his court appearance. Im going to try and go with him.
Logician
QUOTE (davey_weir @ Thu, 1 Apr 2010 - 02:22) *
So I advised my friend - he decided he would like to try his luck in court. He pled not guilty and awaits his court appearance. Im going to try and go with him.

What is he going to say?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.