Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Letter from Staffordshire Police
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
student
There are currently roadworks at the gallowstree roundabout by keele university, meaning 3 way traffic control is in place. Last friday, I was waiting in the queue, lights went green, and the cars started to move, however, the one in front of me suddenly stopped, so I overtook him and the lights went amber as I went past. Then, one of the workers shouts racial abuse at me, so I stop the car and asked him what his name was, he approached my car and grabbed my seatbelt (surely thats assault) and was shouting in my face, I was pretty shocked at his behaviour, so I just carried on. I was going to make a complaint but I forgot. I have a witness to the whole event aswell.

However, Staffs police sent me a letter that I recieved yesterday stating that 'This vehicle has been brought to my attention for failing to conform to traffic sign regulations namely abusing the red light signal at the temporary roadworks on the A525 keele road'.

It goes on to say, the traffic light is .... and furthermore it is monitored and maintained on a daily basis. Even though there are signs stating there are cameras in use, there are none that I can see, not even CCTV cameras, so I'm sure this is a load of bull. It says also that continual abuse may subject you to an endorsable FPN £60 and 3 points.

Also, they have somehow managed to contact me, the owner, with the incorrect number plate (two numbers are the wrong way round and it relates to a totally different make and model), but they have the correct make/model and colour.

What can I do to vent my frustration, because the way I see it, he could turn round to the police again at any time and they could prosecute me with no evidence of who was driving or if a crime was committed.

jobo
wouldnt worry at all

youve got a warning letter not an NIP, if they were even thinking of prosecuting you they would have sent a notice to find who was driving
student
Thats not what im worried about, I know they wont be prosecuting, but surely what this worker did isn't on.
jobo
possibly not

but what advice do you want ?
led zep
I think everything that has to be said has been.The workman made a telephone call and gave your reg number you have had a letter with words of advice.If you wish to make a complaint about that persons behaviour then do so.If what was said if it is a criminal offence then it will be dealt with as such.

The issue is as you have now received a warning letter it may sound as if it is sour grapes.One would have thought if the words and behaviour was that uncalled for you should have made a complaint a.s.a.p.

It is now up to you either to make a formal complaint or leave it go that is the advice form me.
V70owner
Any idea why the car in front of you suddenly stopped?
captain swoop
QUOTE (V70owner @ Thu, 25 Mar 2010 - 22:03) *

Lights went amber?

Stopping i'in' the lights wasn't a good idea either.
redloner
QUOTE (captain swoop @ Thu, 25 Mar 2010 - 23:05) *
QUOTE (V70owner @ Thu, 25 Mar 2010 - 22:03) *

Lights went amber?

Stopping i'in' the lights wasn't a good idea either.

The lights are red for a long time, with them being three-way operational. I sat for over five minutes last time I went that way, I thought they were out of order as nothing had come in the opposite direction. Needless to say, they did change and I breathed a sigh of relief I hadn't "assumed" anything and tried to proceed.

Many drivers do seem to continue through the amber and into red before they will stop again.
TheGeek
QUOTE (student @ Thu, 25 Mar 2010 - 17:51) *
Thats not what im worried about, I know they wont be prosecuting, but surely what this worker did isn't on.

He probably couldn't see what the lights were doing. So what he saw was the car in front of you stopping - at a red light, he'd presume - and you overtaking the stopped car. You can see, can't you, why that wouldn't look good and why someone whose safety depends on people obeying the lights might get upset?

I can't see that you're going to get any forrader by compainling to anybody about anything. It's just one of those things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.