Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 83 in a 60 - N.Ireland
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
italian trev
83 in a 60 A friend just got a NIP and wanted some advice. I know this is the place to come so here it is.

Mobile camera records a speed of 83 in a 60 ( white van parked facing the overtaking lane of a two-lane carriageway which merges into 1).

1. Does a NIP letter automatically mean a court appearance? I thought the inital letter was just to identify the vehicle and then another is sent to confirm how they wish to proceed i.e points etc?

2. Does 83 in a 60 equate to 6 or 3 points?

3. The driving was being shared with another driver on a long journey and they can't remember who was driving at the point of the alleged offence. The owner is happy to take it on the chin as they have the least points on their licence compared to the other potential drivers (kind I know). Only prob is the owner is a female and the other candidates are all male. If the owner simply fesses up is the case then simply processed without futher examination or are they likely to reject this claim and ask to identify the male driver from the picture (if it he was driving?).

thanks for any advice in anticipation
BaggieBoy
These are the likely penalties for England and Wales, I suspect NI will be similar:

Glacier2
In NI the police are more generous in their application of the law. There is every chance you will get a COFP for 83 in a 60. Even the magistrates are generous, you seldom hear of bans even for speeds of 100+mph.

Remember you only have 21 days in NI to send back the NIP.
quickboy
QUOTE (italian trev @ Sun, 21 Mar 2010 - 16:36) *
1. Does a NIP letter automatically mean a court appearance? I thought the inital letter was just to identify the vehicle and then another is sent to confirm how they wish to proceed i.e points etc?

No, a NIP does not automatically mean a court appearance. The NIP is to establish the identity of the driver (the vehicle has already been identified by the camera). Any further letters will tell you how the police plan to deal with the alledged offence.
italian trev
Thanks for the responses chaps.

what about thoughts on # 3?

fluff34567
write to them and ask for photos to "aid identification of the driver" do not use the word evidence. If you do not recieve the photos in time you still need to fill in the NIP.

If they can remember the white van then why cant they remember who was driving??
peterguk
Its not clear whether the RK was one of the possible drivers at the time/date of the offence... ?
italian trev
QUOTE (fluff34567 @ Mon, 22 Mar 2010 - 09:02) *
If they can remember the white van then why cant they remember who was driving??

coz it was a long journey your Honour rolleyes.gif
Lew
"long journey" in NI? the longest part from one side to the other is appx 100 miles, probably less
I doubt very much if you used the excuse "it was a long journey" would go down very well there.
Apart from which if you lie about who was driving, or not knowing you could end up way worse than some points on your licence.
Glacier2
A nice spell in HMP Maghaberry awaits you if you mess around the PSNI.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.