Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Might be getting a PCN through the post from a PCSO
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
ukdeveloper
Today I went to pick up the kids from school with the missus…. she walked down the road (school at the bottom of the road) and I got in the car to meet them and then we were off out.

When I got down to the school the missus hadn't came out with the kids so i drove around the block…. 3 times.

Upon my fourth time round they had come out and I stopped in the middle of the road (didnt park, didnt get out) so that my kids and missus could get in. At NO TIME did i cause an obstruction to any other vehicle and i was stopped probably for a maximum of about 20 seconds.

Outside the school gates there were a couple of PCSO muppets who, as soon as i stopped RAN over and the conversation went something like this:

PCSO Muppet 1: "Oi…. you cant park there"
Me: "Im not parked im stopped for the purpose of picking up"
PCSO Muppet 1: "Well you cant, its double yellow lines (the white line in the pic below has been replaced by double yellow lines)"
Me: "Oh I'm sorry, I thought the highway code stated that it was ok to stop on a double yellow line for the purpose of picking up or dropping off?"
PCSO Muppet 2: "Groaning/Grunting sound"
PCSO Muppet 1: "Nope thats not true and if you don't move im gonna give you a ticket"
Me: "Goodbye"

I then drove home as i forgot something and checked the highway code to check if what i said was true and found out that it does state that I can stop on a double yellow to pick up or drop off.

I was a little p***ed off by this so decided to go and have a word with the muppets again..

Me: "Excuse me Mr Pretend Policeman Revenue Collector"
PCSO Muppet 1: "Yeah what?"
Me: "I have just checked the Highway Code and it clearly states that I can pull over onto a double yellow line to pick up a passenger"
PCSO Muppet 1: "And im telling you its illegal, and I know the law, and I can still give you a ticket for it now if you like:
Me: "Go on then.. and I will contest it on the grounds that you are an idiot and don't know what you are talking about, and I think its a disgrace that you are spounting what you say is law when in fact you are incorrect"
PCSO Muppet 1: "Look I know where you live and I can send you a ticket in the post"
Me: "Look there you go again… you DON'T know where I live at all, you MAY be able to find out where the car is registered to but that does not mean I live there"

At this point they both walked off, with PCSO Muppet 2 still making a strange grunting sound??!!??!

Now firstly, i MAY be completely wrong regarding me being allowed to stop to pick up. But I was in a particularly argumentative mood, and the way the muppet ran over to me shouting and spouting off just set me off.

So my question is…. if i DO get a PCN in the post can i contest it on my grounds stated?

I was parked APPROX where the red car is shown… and white lines are now double yellows.

southpaw82
If they were CSOs (there's actually no "Police" in their title) then they don't issue PCNs (unless they also happen to be council CEOs), they issue FPNs. I'd ignore them and forget about it - they're classic CSO muppets.
led zep
There are such persons callled Police Community Support Officers (see our bobby.com).They normally attend at or around schools as a result of parking complaints they can and will issues FPN for parking on double yellow lines and or causing an obstruction.In this particular instance I do not think that you will receive any formal communicationas if you were going to have a FPN you would have one there and then.It is not beyond the realms PCSO (as any other member of the public)to make a statement of complaint and you could receive a visit from a local Police Officer and be reported for summons.
One would be mindful that if you visit this school on a regular basis be careful where you park I am not saying for one moment you card is marked but you seemed to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest for yourself.

I sometimes cannot understand why parents cannot park a little way from the school thus avoiding visits from the above Officers

southpaw82
QUOTE (led zep @ Mon, 15 Mar 2010 - 15:11) *
There are such persons callled Police Community Support Officers (see our bobby.com).

I (and the law) beg to differ. The Police Reform Act 2002, s. 38

(2) The description of officers are as follows—

(a) community support officer

No "police" in their title.
led zep
Can you explain why on their tabard they have Police Community Support Officer thereon or would this question best be asked of the Force concerned as they are described as PCSOO on the Home Office Goverment website even though in thos instance whether they PCSO or CSO ot would not make a duffernce to the power to issue a FPN
southpaw82
You'd best ask the force concerned - they decide on the uniform, not me.
led zep
Having spoken to a person who works in what is called the Extended Polce Family Department is was put to me in simple terms they are CSO who support the Police therefore PCSO similsr very few places in legislation does it mention Police Constable it is normally Any Constable etc as some officers are detectives etc.I think that this is a play on words and as long as theu do not exceed their powers under the Police Reform Act it does not reeally matter I suppose.
bama
"was put to me in simple terms they are CSO who support the Police therefore PCSO"

are there any CSOs created under that Act that support anything else than the Police ?

Tautology.
Bigging up
Appeal to authority.
etc

i.e. bull crap.

Arguably due to S.38 1 (b)
(b) is under the direction and control of that chief officer,

means they support the Chief Officer so they should be
COCSOs
led zep
Actually PCSO/CSO are funded by other bodies e.g a University in my local area part funds one this then allows the officer to be at the site for at least 50% of their working week.They are 'ring fenced' for their day to day duties at this location. I wonder if he/she could be called a UCSO Part time.I think the point has been made that as long as they carry outtheir duties in line with legislation does it really matter what they are called with a new goverment just around the corner their name will possibly change yet again.
ManxRed
QUOTE (bama @ Mon, 15 Mar 2010 - 20:49) *
means they support the Chief Officer so they should be
COCSOs

Hey! That's not a million miles away from what I usually call them anyway.
LordLucan
They like the word 'Police' in their title as it fools old people into thinking they are dealing with real Police Officers with real powers, and not plastic police who are the but of jokes by the local youths. In one Polce area poeple who ask for a court hearing when issued a ticket by the plastic police, usually drop the case soon after as they really dont want the plastic cops going to court as apparently they are 'not trained for that'.
regards
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.