Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving License - Change of Address
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
MacDaddy
Firstly, apologies of this is in the wrong forum, I'm not sure where it should go so thought this forum was probably best. Please can a mod move the thread to a more appropriate forum if need be. Alternatively, if my question is beyond the scope of pepipoo please feel free to point me elsewhere.

Ok, I moved house a couple of years ago, and forgot (literally) to change the address on my driving license, it has only now come to my attention that omitted to do this, and obviously I need to change the details. Now reading the back of the paper copy of my license it states "I must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to my address" and failure to do so "can result in up to a £1000 fine" (both statements paraphrased). I haven't been caught for anything (that I know of at this time) and I'm not being asked to produce and documents by the authorities, I'm merely wanting to ammend the details.

Because of conflicting information on-line and a general ignorance on my part about this, my questions are:

1. Is it illegal to drive a vehicle with incorrect information on a driving license?
2. Given 2 years has passed, can they fine me for not correcting this sooner even though now I have realised my omission I have taken every step to correct it?

Thanks for any input.
2020Hindsight
1. No - your licence is still valid
2. Yes - you are continuing to do the naughtiness until you tell them. Of course you have to tell them your new details, you don't to tell them you forgot.

Change it and be done.
MacDaddy
QUOTE (2020Hindsight @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 17:35) *
1. No - your licence is still valid
2. Yes - you are continuing to do the naughtiness until you tell them. Of course you have to tell them your new details, you don't to tell them you forgot.

Change it and be done.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Please see the highlighted bit - why not? (I've not said anything, btw, I've just filled out the form and sent it off).
gold leaf
the address on the docuaments , does not have to be your home address , it has to be an address that you can be contacted at, therefore,if the new owner of your old house knows you and has been passing mail to you , all is well
MacDaddy
QUOTE (gold leaf @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 17:57) *
the address on the docuaments , does not have to be your home address , it has to be an address that you can be contacted at, therefore,if the new owner of your old house knows you and has been passing mail to you , all is well

Is that right? It doesn't seem to agree with what is said on the back of the paper copy which states that I must inform them immediately when I change address.

FWIW, the old address is my parents' - they forward all mail to me as it arrives.
gold leaf
yes , and how do all our "traveller" friends manage?

or even Mr and Mrs smith who sell there house and buy a campervan to do the grand tour?
southpaw82
QUOTE (MacDaddy @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 17:46) *
Please see the highlighted bit - why not? (I've not said anything, btw, I've just filled out the form and sent it off).

Well, when you change your address they'll just process it as normal... they have no reason to believe you've been committing an offence for the last two years, do they? Of course, if you tell them you have been then they might prosecute you rolleyes.gif
Northern
Some people have more than one residence, so it just needs to be an address you can be contacted at.
I hade my parents address in my paper licence for more than 12 years with no problem! I must have moved at least 5 times in that period! smile.gif
MacDaddy
QUOTE (gold leaf @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 18:07) *
yes , and how do all our "traveller" friends manage?

The less I say on that the better wink.gif

QUOTE (gold leaf @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 18:07) *
or even Mr and Mrs smith who sell there house and buy a campervan to do the grand tour?

Well that's a point. I don't know anyone who has done that so can't say its something that I thought about. Perhaps a pepipoo globetrotter can share their experience on that?!

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 18:51) *
Well, when you change your address they'll just process it as normal... they have no reason to believe you've been committing an offence for the last two years, do they? Of course, if you tell them you have been then they might prosecute you rolleyes.gif

Well I hope they do just process it as normal. Interestingly, my car is registered to my new address not my old (parents) address and has been since I moved (don't ask why I didn't change over my license at the same time), so my concern is they will twig a match and see me as ripe pickings for money.

QUOTE (Northern @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 19:50) *
Some people have more than one residence, so it just needs to be an address you can be contacted at.
I hade my parents address in my paper licence for more than 12 years with no problem! I must have moved at least 5 times in that period! smile.gif

That's good to know, thanks.

I guess I will have to hope they just change the details, afterall aside from the the length of time it is just a standard change of address. We shall see.
captain swoop
Think about it. How wouldthey know how long you have been at your new addy?
Northern
I guess I will have to hope they just change the details, afterall aside from the the length of time it is just a standard change of address. We shall see.

You are worrying about nothing!
How does anyone know the old address isn't a second address!?
MacDaddy
QUOTE (captain swoop @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 22:59) *
Think about it. How wouldthey know how long you have been at your new addy?

If you notice from my previous post, my car has been registered to me at my new address for the last 2 years. I'm not sure how they check the validity of a change address request (although I'm starting to doubt they try and match the addresses they have on their databases otherwise you would have thought this would have flagged up sooner).

QUOTE (Northern @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 23:44) *
You are worrying about nothing!
How does anyone know the old address isn't a second address!?

I don't worry about things I can't influence wink.gif Though my understanding on this is very limited, primary addresses, secondary addresses, the legality of it all, etc

My address needs changing, so come what may I have to do it, I just wanted clarification on the details as per my OP.

Thanks to all those that have given their input.
TwoGirlsOneCop
As long as you can be contacted at or by the address shown, it is perfectly valid. When I was based in Australia I had my licence stolen. My replacement was sent to my parents address in Scotland and they sent it on to me as it can only be issued to a UK address. Quite legitimate and nothing wrong.

I would suggest you just send it off now and that is it done. DO take a photocopy of the licence first as DVLA are known to send back a provisional or remove entitlements. Check your new licence VERY carefully when it comes back as you only have a few weeks in which to tell them of any such errors.
2020Hindsight
They don't cross match car registration and driving licence details - all they know is a car is registered to John Smith at an address. They don't know if that John Smith has a driving licence or which John Smith it is.
PBC_1966
If you take up residence overseas, then you can't have your address put on your U.K. license, as DVLA will only accept a U.K. address. When living in the States, I just had my British license kept registered at my mother's address, at which I could be contacted if necessary.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.