Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disabled Parking
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
MissBlaster
huh.gif I'm new too all this as this is my first PCN in 20 odd years of driving. happy.gif

I parked outside a shop in the Galleries Retail park in Washington nr Sunderland. It transpires that the land the parking facility is on is owned and managed by Prudential who employ a 'firm' called A/Covert Security services of Morpeth to patrol the disabled bays for illesgal use of.

My disabled badge was not on the dash as it should have been but was visible within the car. I know that I was stupid not to put it on the dash but I was in a hurry as it was late afternoon and I wanted to get home before the rush hour. I came out of the shop to find 2 blokes hovering around my car and 1 was writing the ticket which states that "Parking Officer no 2 has reasonable cause to believe that a civil penalty has been incurred because of code 4" The code 4 is failure to display my blue badge. I pointed out to him the badge inside the car then got it out to show him that I am definitely the badge holder etc but he still issued the ticket. My point is that if he had bothered to look at the tax disc he would have seen that it has disabled tax on it which proves that I have a blue badge anyway. If I dont pay £50 within 14 days they will double it to £100. Another point is that these guys did not show me any ID and were not wearing badges to prove who they say they are. I phoned the company but all I got was the riot act for not having the badge on the dash. Any good advice on this one much appreciated. I have been advised by someone else to ignore the CPCN but I am worried that this could backfire (excuse the unintended pun) and end up costing me more. Help please!!
southpaw82
It's not a PCN.

When dealing with "tickets" from private parking companies (PPCs) our advice is to ignore them. For more information about this recommendation and private parking companies, click this link.
DBC
Blue badges have no relevance on private car parks. You have done nothing wrong and you have not broken any laws.

To use such phrases as "The code 4 is failure to display my blue badge" seems to suggest that this private parking company is pretending to be a council. Very naughty!
ford poplar
Southpaw's advice is correct and others may argue disabled bays on private land have no legal standing.
May I respectfully observe that AFAIK a disabled tax disc does not automatically mean you have a blue badge. They are issued by separate authorities and BBs have to be applied for separately by the eligible person.
If BB holders wish to retain the benefit of disabled bays at the supermarkets etc (private land) then I suggest the same BB rules should apply as for council (public) car parks.
As you have found PPCs (and many CEOs) have no heart
MissBlaster
QUOTE (ford poplar @ Fri, 26 Feb 2010 - 12:29) *
Southpaw's advice is correct and others may argue disabled bays on private land have no legal standing.
May I respectfully observe that AFAIK a disabled tax disc does not automatically mean you have a blue badge. They are issued by separate authorities and BBs have to be applied for separately by the eligible person.
If BB holders wish to retain the benefit of disabled bays at the supermarkets etc (private land) then I suggest the same BB rules should apply as for council (public) car parks.
As you have found PPCs (and many CEOs) have no heart

The point that I was making about the tax disc is that if I qualify for disabled tax the same criteria applies to the conditions for the BB so it makes it extremely likely that I have the badge.
eddy556
Yes just ignore this, you'll get a bit of paper through the post (thats nice of them) for which you can keep incase you run out of toilet roll. Other than that you can consider this the end of the matter. Do not contact them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.