Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conditional Offer , Incorrect VRN
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
boanerges2
My wife was issued with a [Scottish] Conditional Offer following a police stop, in connection with an alleged red light offence at a temporary traffic light at roadworks.
She was issued on the spot with a pink self carbon copy of a Conditional Offer which she must accept within a month or face the prospect of the police reporting the case to the Procurator Fiscal who may proceed to trial.

She later discovered that the VRN cited on the CO differs from her actual VRN by one digit, as well as having an incorrect postcode for her address.

This seems to me to be a defective document and gives her no choice but to refuse to accept it.

She is therefore being forced into a position of having to go to trial.

Is it likely that the PF would proceed with a prosecution in the circumstances?

I'd be grateful to know what others think.
southpaw82
I think that a defective COFP would not prevent the PF prosecuting and she's better off accepting it.
Mach1Astra
I had sub contractors working for our company. They travelled to work in two vans, both vans were travelling home from work one night, they were both pulled in for speeding. One CO had Northbound the other had Southbound. The guy with the wrong direction took it to court and lost! Hope this helps.

peterguk
QUOTE (boanerges2 @ Tue, 23 Feb 2010 - 10:41) *
This seems to me to be a defective document and gives her no choice but to refuse to accept it.

If she goes to trial. it is likely the mistakes will simply be corrected.
glasgow_bhoy
QUOTE (peterguk @ Tue, 23 Feb 2010 - 11:06) *
QUOTE (boanerges2 @ Tue, 23 Feb 2010 - 10:41) *

If she goes to trial. it is likely the mistakes will simply be corrected.

CoFP means nothing in court anyway... its an offer to avoid going to court.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.