Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: double jeopardy
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
satman3
hi,help i was fined for speeding 2yrs ago but papaerwork was sent to wrong address,
i contacted cto office who said that they would send paperwork to me again, 6wks went passed no paperwork contacted cto again was told that it had gone to court and i have been fined £425.00 plus 4 points [42 in a 30 zone],
i contacted the court and was told that the summonds was sent to the address on file i told them that was the wrong address they said i would have to ask the cto to reopen my case,contacted cto they refused,
i refused to pay fine went back to my local court in september 09 and the magistrate said to stop a misscarrage of justice he would cancel the £425.00 fine and reinstate the standerd fine of £60.00 but was unable to take the extra point off, i have to contact the court that put them on contacted the court no joy went up to the next level of complaint ,
the case went back to court jan 10 to have the extra point taken off ,
19th jan letter from court saying that i have been fined £60,00 with £15.00 pounds costs total £75.00,
20th jan letter from court that i have been given 3 points as well,,
i have sent letter to h/q hmcs, mp,police,as someone is at fault but no one will admit it,
cannot find a soliciter to take my case ,anyone had the same problem?
Grant_W
What address were they sent to, a previous one of yours?

What is it you actually want done about it as they seem to have corrected their mistake?
satman3
hi the problem is that i now have 7 points and another fine to paye,have complained to hmcs head office/police/cto but they are just blaming each other and i am just going round and round
paper work was sent with no house number on it
Grant_W
Does your V5 have a house number on?

Your lucky you didn't get 6 points and a large fine for not replying to the 172. Did you get any paperwork at all?

How did you find out about this and how long ago was the incident?

Your licence may have been revoked by now.
jimster
Am I reading this correct?

Have you been given points on two occasions for the same offence?

Doesn’t sound right to me

Have you checked your license status with DVLA?

satman3
have been fighting this for 2yrs
was driving a company van that was on contract hire so went to them first,they then sent it to my company who sent it to me[this took 6weeks]
licence was revoked in nov 09 got that sorted
have had to send licence back to dvla to have other points put on
to lots of fines and points for same offence

have just found that i can complain to the european parliament under articale 50
NO ONE SHALL BE TO BE TRIED OR PUNISHED AGAIN IN CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS FOR AN OFFENCE FOR WHICH HE/SHE HAS ALL READY BEEN FINALLY ACQUITTED OR CONVICTED WHITHIN THE UNION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAW

thanks to you all it is nice to now their are still some good people out their wiiling to help
Grant_W
No so fast.

When were you tried again having been convicted in accordance with the law?
MartinHP71
QUOTE (Grant_W @ Mon, 22 Feb 2010 - 10:33) *
Your lucky you didn't get 6 points and a large fine for not replying to the 172. Did you get any paperwork at all?

2 years ago not responding to a S172 request was only 3 points. although not too relevant as OP got prosecuted for speeding!!
jobo
what do you mean it went back to court, you mean they accepted an appeal 2 years later ?
Grant_W
QUOTE (MartinHP71 @ Mon, 22 Feb 2010 - 11:53) *
2 years ago not responding to a S172 request was only 3 points. although not too relevant as OP got prosecuted for speeding!!

Thanks we also now know it was a company vehicle so they may have provided a wrong address.

Lots of vital information is missing from this thread in order to fully assist the OP.
jimster
My understanding of double-jeopardy is that you can not be re-tried for the same offence if you have previously been found NOT guilty wacko.gif

What appears to have happened here is that the OP has been punished twice for the same offence

southpaw82
QUOTE (jimster @ Mon, 22 Feb 2010 - 12:13) *
My understanding of double-jeopardy is that you can not be re-tried for the same offence if you have previously been found NOT guilty wacko.gif

Autrefois acquit also has its counterpart autrefois convict wink.gif

What appears to have happened here is that the OP has been punished twice for the same offence

Apparently so. However, if the OP could bring himself to give some proper details instead of scattering facts all over the thread we might be able to help him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.