Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chargeback
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Mister Ross
I was unfamiliar with chargeback until I read a couple of posts on here. I was thinking about investing in some boltcutters, but instead why shouldn't I just pay the clampers via credit card every time, and then just demand chargeback?

Can anyone think of a reason as to why I shouldn't do this and should instead spend £20 on boltcutters?

Can the same principle not be applied if I get towed, rather than having to pay and then sue?
sputnik365
QUOTE (Mister Ross @ Sat, 2 Jan 2010 - 04:56) *
I was unfamiliar with chargeback until I read a couple of posts on here. I was thinking about investing in some boltcutters, but instead why shouldn't I just pay the clampers via credit card every time, and then just demand chargeback?

Can anyone think of a reason as to why I shouldn't do this and should instead spend £20 on boltcutters?

Can the same principle not be applied if I get towed, rather than having to pay and then sue?

They don't always accept cards or it is supposedly declined
Monster 900
QUOTE (sputnik365 @ Sat, 2 Jan 2010 - 05:12) *
QUOTE (Mister Ross @ Sat, 2 Jan 2010 - 04:56) *

They don't always accept cards or it is supposedly declined

Indeed, many PPC insist on cash only. I suspect it helps their tax position.
jufair
I wud recon the Card Company wud av some secret clause in the CC terms and conditions which wud preclude you from charging back every week.
I personally do not av one of these cards, I looked at an application form and they want to know too much about me, plus the apr is outlandish.
We got paid pound notes up till a few years ago.
With a CC you can spend brass that tha dunt av if thas not canny how yer use it.
axeman
cheapest option is to avoid altogether, any suspicion that a clamping PPC operates then park elsewhere
Barkley
Wouldn't work. A chargeback is not a one-way process, you can initiate one and the billing merchant will be asked to explain why the charge should not be returned to the customer. Thwy will state is was in payment for parking services and you willingly provided the details, so you would have to prove some other deception or non-delivery of service to prevent the chargebank being cancelled.

Also, in much the same way YOU can be held for fraud by issuing cheques you know will not be honoured, providing a credit card for the same purposes would leave the consumer ripe to be charged as a scammer.

Not worth it. Just don't give out the details unless you WANT to pay for them.
whitewing
QUOTE (Barkley @ Sat, 2 Jan 2010 - 12:20) *
you willingly provided the details,

No - the argument is that it was under duress, and any charge for 'services' is unlawful, pretty much like ordering goods which were not delivered, or being taken to a cashpoint at knifepoint.
Also, in much the same way YOU can be held for fraud by issuing cheques you know will not be honoured, providing a credit card for the same purposes would leave the consumer ripe to be charged as a scammer.

How would they prove the intent? Perfectly plausible that you only found out the possibility of chargeback after the event.
jufair
As mentioned above, always check in any car parks for clamping signs and for PPC scam notices.
Go somewhere else,if there is a park and ride use it.
If you do stop at a car park, before you get out of your vehicle, check that you have parked within the parking bay, and make sure your ticket/voucher is display where it cant tummel on't floor, and if yer park for an our make sure you are back afore final whistle blows.
Prevention is better than the cure.
Remember what Lord Baden-Powel told is scouts; " Be Prepared. "
Barkley
QUOTE (whitewing @ Sat, 2 Jan 2010 - 14:11) *
QUOTE (Barkley @ Sat, 2 Jan 2010 - 12:20) *
you willingly provided the details,

No - the argument is that it was under duress, and any charge for 'services' is unlawful, pretty much like ordering goods which were not delivered, or being taken to a cashpoint at knifepoint.

Different thing. This would require a police report reference to support the contention that there was any duress involved. It has no connection with the non-delivery of goods, in fact the service was provided (IYSWIM). A dispute can be raised, but it is a multi-step process, and if the Merchant says it is simply the parker attemptng to get out of paying their 'lawful' charges, the bank will say this is a civil dispute and remove the suspension.

How would they prove the intent? Perfectly plausible that you only found out the possibility of chargeback after the event.

Perhaps so for someone who is on their first attempt at chargeback, but previously chargebacks were barely 1 in 50,000 transactions in 1990 (from memory of old BACS figures) this isn;t the case now, and the evolution of the new 'temporary' nature of the dispute process until the facts are verified, means the initial suspension is invariably granted, only to drop off a few weeks later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.