Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Traffic Lights Camera
FightBack Forums > Queries > Technical Discussion of Enforcement Devices
rimmerwar
I was approaching the traffic signals on Lee Bank Middleway/Islington Row/ Wheeleys Road/Wheeleys Lane in Birmingham, that have a Traffic Signal Camera on site.
Just as I was nearing the junction the light went from Red to Red and Amber. I braked to slow down but I went over the line while it was changing from Red/Amber to Green. There was one flash of the camera as I made my way through the junction.

Will I get a ticket for this? huh.gif
nemo
QUOTE (rimmerwar @ Wed, 30 Dec 2009 - 09:55) *
Will I get a ticket for this? huh.gif

Ignoring for a moment that fact that red light cameras typically flash twice, the offence is complete if any part of a vehicle proceeds beyond the stop line with the red light (or red and amber lights) showing.

And the offence of failing to comply with a traffic signal requires a Notice of Intended Prosecution to be served upon the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 calendar days of the incident (noting that the date of the alleged offence is Day 0).

brick12
If it helps I encountered a similar problem where I hesitated when a light was changing from amber to red. I braked heavily but couldn't stop the front of the car slightly going over the line. The camera flashed once. I posted a query on here asking if I would recieve a penalty and got a similar response to that of Nemo's above. This caused me to panic, however after a nervy 14 days I didn't receive anything through the post.

I know my example is not exactly the same as yours but I hope this puts your mind at rest a little bit.
JDMEngineer
I had the same problem in Glasgow last year.
The lights went from Red to Amber and it flashed once.
I called the Strathclyde camera unit and the woman there was very good and explained that all the red light camera flashes are reviewed by a traffic officer to make sure they are actually able to procecute.

Also I may be wrong but is it not just a solid RED they can do you for?
If like you say its red and amber together you are possibly ok?

I was also told by another cource that these some of these cameras have no film and are a deterrent.
There is numerous Gatsos in Glasgow where plenty people I know have been "Flashed" and nothing followed.

JDM Engineer

nemo
QUOTE (JDMEngineer @ Sun, 17 Jan 2010 - 19:25) *
Also I may be wrong but is it not just a solid RED they can do you for?
If like you say its red and amber together you are possibly ok?

Exactly the same message is conveyed (ie STOP) whether the lights are showing red, red / amber or amber on its own, albeit that it is a defence to proceeding beyond the stop line against the amber if it would have been unsafe to attempt to stop.
rimmerwar
It has now been a month since the incident and still no word from West Midlands Police. I was starting not to worry, but then was told that West Midlands Police do not except the 14 day period to send out the notice. They can send it out any time they want.

When can I relax about this?
sad.gif sad.gif
nemo
QUOTE (rimmerwar @ Fri, 22 Jan 2010 - 13:46) *
I was starting not to worry, but then was told that West Midlands Police do not except the 14 day period to send out the notice. They can send it out any time they want.

And who gave you that little gem of information ?
Watcher
QUOTE (nemo @ Fri, 22 Jan 2010 - 13:52) *
QUOTE (rimmerwar @ Fri, 22 Jan 2010 - 13:46) *
I was starting not to worry, but then was told that West Midlands Police do not except the 14 day period to send out the notice. They can send it out any time they want.

And who gave you that little gem of information ?

If they don't except it, that means they do actually ACCEPT it - as they must, by law! rolleyes.gif
ford poplar
The sensors (inductance coils) to trigger a RLC are usually set in the tarmac about 1 yard in front of the white stop line.

As more cameras go digital, pics are sent electronically, saving the cost of developing and replacing film canisters

After 1 month I think you can breathe again.
rimmerwar
someone I work with gave me the information about the police. Just have to wait and see. wink.gif
Scottish Driver
The law says the RK must recieve the NIP within 14 days, so it does no matter if they accept or except this. The law is the law !
and as long as you are the RK and have had the car a while and have not moved address recently your home free smile.gif
theworx
I did the exact same thing a while back, crossed the white line before the lights had changed to green. The camera flashed (twice i believe) and i never received anything in the post. Has stopped me driving off before green though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.