Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: probably guilty
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
men at work
ohmy.gif In Aug. I admit may have overstayed my parking time limit because I waited until the downpour stopped before I left my car in a carpark, not realising I had been 'snapped' (I assume) entering and leaving the car park. Iadmit that I may have also dismissed the first 'fine' letter as junk mail. Later I received £90 bill for a parking infringement with no details of where, just a date, my car reg and adressed to me the owner, and a phone number where I could pay. I phoned up to query what it was for but was just told to enter my credit card details. I assumed this was a con as anyone would. 2 months later I binned the letter. 1 week later I received mail from a debt recovery firm for £180 in respect of the unpaid PCN. at the venue now revealed. How should I play it? Should I pay it?
ManxRed
I'm assuming this is from a private company, as opposed to a local council, given what you've described so far.

I think you've already got the hang of it.

Keep ignoring, the Debt Collector (and potentially a 'solicitor' - and I use the inverted commas deliberately here) may write a couple more letters and then they will give up and go away.
Mortimer
It might be worth pointing out that all paperwork should be being kept really.

It would however be useful to know, how long such things should be kept.
men at work
huh.gif but they could take me to court and claim costs. I'm not confident that they'll go away - after all thats why they are in business?
I am Weasel
QUOTE (men at work @ Wed, 25 Nov 2009 - 18:51) *
huh.gif but they could take me to court and claim costs. I'm not confident that they'll go away - after all thats why they are in business?

Please read the FAQ & many of the threads here as to why private companies cannot levy "fines" or other penalties that are not commensurate with the actual losses sustained by your overstay. They will send you ever more threatening and intimidating letters that are designed to make you pay up without going to court. This is because they would lose in court
ManxRed
QUOTE (men at work @ Wed, 25 Nov 2009 - 18:51) *

If they had a case they might. But they haven't. So they won't.

As I Am Weasel suggests, have a browse around the forum for the threads that feature PPCs (a good 30% at the very least!) and it will become apparent why they haven't got a legal leg to stand on and why you can keep safely ignoring all this junk mail!
men at work
wink.gif I can just picture myself in court !
Yes I did overstay their parking limit it was raining. (They probably have a photo of me behind the wheel! ). I probably binned their first letter, I dont have the second letter to prove it appearred to be some credit scam, and the debt collection agency can justify it's costs because it has massive overheads?? They don't even have to send stuff recorded delivery to prove I received any of it either ? do you see where I am coming from?
Gan
You're missing the point here.

It will never go to court because the company has no legal basis whatever for the claim.

There is nothing in English Law that allows private companies to charge penalties. The debt collection company doesn't have huge overheads because it's a desk on the other side of the room and the "solicitor" who will write to you later is so ashamed of his activities that he doesn't even use his real name.

Keep any letters they send you because they nearly always show evidence of a criminal offence. Whatever you do, don't contact them for any reason.

Eventually they will give up and move on to softer target.
muckychimney
Simple advice is
IGNORE ALL THEIR LETTERS - IT IS A SCAM
men at work
sleep.gif ummmm. Not just a letter to ask for the evidence of who was driving - as a back up?
Gan
Yes. Good idea. Go ahead. Save them wasting £2-50 to get your details from DVLA.
You can learn the hard way what happens when they think they've hooked a fish.

Why are you so determined to ignore all the good advice that you've been given and do the one thing that actually makes the situation worse ?
men at work
I'm paranoid. Unless I get it revoked I'm thinking it'll always be hangin' over me, a court summons or a knackered credit rating. They already spent the £2.50 and is't the debt recovery company Newlin who are chasing. I've not responded at all. I'm just surprised it can be that simple. I assume mellow.gif that because they make money out of it that it must be above board. After all Councils and large corporations use these companys to 'police' their car parks.
bama
see this
SchoolRunMum
men at work, can you now please change your heading to 'definitely not guilty' and stop worrying?

QUESTION: - Would it affect your credit rating if you deleted a series of emails from a Nigerian scammer? No.

- Would you worry about deleting said scam emails? No!

This scam is THE SAME. Nothing bad will happen.

I bet practically everyone on here has had a private parking ticket and ignored it. I have, this Summer, followed by the usual series of threatening letters. I ignored it all just as you should do.

Spend the money on some Chrimbo pressies for your family.
dave-o
QUOTE (men at work @ Wed, 25 Nov 2009 - 23:08) *
I'm paranoid. Unless I get it revoked I'm thinking it'll always be hangin' over me, a court summons or a knackered credit rating. They already spent the £2.50 and is't the debt recovery company Newlin who are chasing. I've not responded at all. I'm just surprised it can be that simple. I assume mellow.gif that because they make money out of it that it must be above board. After all Councils and large corporations use these companys to 'police' their car parks.

Lots of people have already said the same, but for what it's worth:

Their business model runs on public ignorance and assumption of guilt. On a basic level the "fine" cannot exist, as private companies are not allowed to fine people. If they were to take you to court, it would have to be for actual losses, which would amount to what - a couple of quid? They are clearly not going to take yuo to court for that, and this is where their business fails.
They make money by the fact that they send out hundreds of scam invoices, and a percentage of people do not understand their legal position, and just pay. It doesn't take a very big percentage of people to pay £90 to cover a lot of £2.50 DVLA info requests, and send out a lot of speculative scam invoices.

Don't be the ignorant percentage of the public! You know it's a scam now, so keep strong. When it's over in a few months, you will monder why you were ever taken in by this clearly ludicrous ticket. At that point, tell all yout friends and family about the private parking scam. It's the best way to beat these parasites.

And just to set your mind totally at rest:

If they took you to court (they wouldn't be so stupid)
And they won (as if!)
Then you would only pay the charge plus court fees of £30 and nominal expenses (no legal expenses allowed at small claims).
Unless you refused to pay this amount, even after all of the above you would not suffer credit damage.
You can see why they don't tell you this though can't you - it wouldn't be scary enough for the scam to work!
men at work
Has anyone been persued to the limit by Civil Enforcement LTD for a PCN
I am Weasel
If the limit is Court , NO
men at work
how many letters do you think I'll get from the debt collectors. I'm seriously thinking of staring them out but was wondering if I 've got the stamina. Trouble is I've binned their shameful correspondence thinking it was a spoof. I only have the debt collectors threat of futher action and considerable cost wink.gif
Fredd
Just a guess (since they lack much detail) that the threads that have been merged are about the same case
Alexis
ow many letters do you think I'll get from the debt collectors. I'm seriously thinking of staring them out but was wondering if I 've got the stamina.

It's ignoring some letters. You don't have trouble ignoring menus from the local takeaway do you?
roythebus
Read THIS THREAD http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=46708 and scroll down to the link on item 2 or 3 which SHOWS how far these scams get in County courts!!

How much more proof do you need to see it's A SCAM?
men at work
wink.gif I'm getting the message. I'm ignoring the 'DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER' letter. Just gonna sit back and wait for the follow up. (but still slightly nervy!) Mates at work are waiting for the poo to hit the fan, Thanks for everyones advice. Nearly wet myself reading some of the replies! Just need to figure out how to save my query so I can use the advice if I ever need it ... not that I will...aaarrrrgghhh
ManxRed
You'll be fine. wink.gif

You'll be laughing at your mates when this all goes away and you're in a position to 'spread the word'. Educating everyone in the country to this scam is the eventual goal!! Then these scumbags will have to go back to mugging grannies in dark alleyways.
andy_foster
QUOTE (Alexis @ Thu, 26 Nov 2009 - 20:46) *
It's ignoring some letters. You don't have trouble ignoring menus from the local takeaway do you?

I do.

Chicken piri piri and aloo saag...
magm
Hi, I am very new to this. So please please forgive me if I'm wrong on doing this. I wanted to ask men at work what has happened so far regarding your ticket? Did it go any further? How many letters did you recieve and what did you do?

Sorry if I'm wrong.

kwaks
Don't need men at work to answer, every one else already did.

He would have got a final demand, then a final final demand, then some letters saying they might do this or may do that. If he was particulary lucky he would have got photocopied copies of court papers (obviously not originals with the proper stamp). Then he would have got silence.

If you have something similar then ignore it, if you feel it is somehow different then start a new thread wink.gif
mick22
now i feel such a mug my mrs got the same thing in a wickes car park i rang up got the credit card jargon and just paid the fine aggggghhhh
SchoolRunMum
QUOTE (mick22 @ Sat, 27 Feb 2010 - 18:48) *
now i feel such a mug my mrs got the same thing in a wickes car park i rang up got the credit card jargon and just paid the fine aggggghhhh

Resolve never, ever to fall for a PPC ticket again. You can see by the replies here that this was never a fine!
eddy556
QUOTE (SchoolRunMum @ Sat, 27 Feb 2010 - 22:45) *
QUOTE (mick22 @ Sat, 27 Feb 2010 - 18:48) *
Resolve never, ever to fall for a PPC ticket again. You can see by the replies here that this was never a fine!
Charge back on the card... easy
Fredd
There's little point in posting general advice that's not of use to the OP in old threads like this. Please start/use your own thread if you want to discuss your own case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.