Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many cars can be caught in one picture?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Technical Discussion of Enforcement Devices
Barney1
I've just gone through a Gatso on a duel carriage way, 50 speed limit.
I was in the inside lane and my speedo was reading about 55.
A car went past me, I expect at about 65 and the camera did the dreaded double flash.

I'm certain that it was flashing for him but I could have been over the limit too (not too sure due to speedo inaccuracies and tolerance on camera).

So the question is, when they look at the camera is it only the faster car that gets recorded or could they use the same photo for me too?

Barney
Mayhem007
QUOTE (Barney1 @ Sat, 21 Nov 2009 - 21:59) *
I've just gone through a Gatso on a duel carriage way, 50 speed limit.
I was in the inside lane and my speedo was reading about 55.
A car went past me, I expect at about 65 and the camera did the dreaded double flash.

I'm certain that it was flashing for him but I could have been over the limit too (not too sure due to speedo inaccuracies and tolerance on camera).

So the question is, when they look at the camera is it only the faster car that gets recorded or could they use the same photo for me too?

Barney

You most certainly would have been doing less then 55mph, thats for sure. Normally cameras allow 10% tolerance so 55mph would be the radar setting. The trigger for the camera is as the back end of the vehicle exits the radar beam. So if you were in the radar beam or outside then you should be okay.

So just need to wait and see. However, if you do get the NIP then we need to work on your defence.

But I reckon your in the clear.
mjkerr
There was a case a few years ago where evidence from two GATSO cameras was used
In the first a car is in lane 1 and a HGV in lane 2
The speed limit on the road was NSL, being a single carriageway that would be 60mph with a dialled in speed of 72mph
It was assumed the HGV was speeding, however the road markings did not support this

Another speed camera a few miles later caught an almost identical scene, with the same HGV and car
However, in this one there was an oncoming car!

It turned out the HGV had been attempting to overtake, within the speed limit
The car then accelerated preventing the HGV from coming back in

Both drivers were convicted, the car for Dangerous Driving and the HGV for speeding
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.