Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flashed @ 31MPH in a 30 :S
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Dannyboy2005
Hi

Firstly my name is Dan, i've been recomended to these forums for some help.

Lets start, i've been driving 20 months, 0 Parking Tickets, 0 Points and No insurance accidents, so could say a sensible driver

I'm 19 years old male, drive a 1.2 Punto and has high enough insurance preiums as it is (Due to being a young driver)

Last night i was going to my girlfriends in Luton, Bedfordshire. I regularry take this road every other day to get to her. I pulled out of a Junction and turned left, there is a camera 20 metres after the junction with 3 white lines going across both lanes. I've seen this camera work and are very cautious of it.

I accelerated steadly to 30MPh as i went past the camera, As my back wheels went over the 3 white lines i saw my speedo saying 31MPH, (the tip of the needle on the speedo was about 3/4 of the width over 30). All asudden my cockpit filled with what i think was a flash from behind, it was sort of a bluey xenon color but had a hint of white in it. It was a single flash. I thought the worst.

Some people say it could be a car bumping into a pot hole on the road.

I know i have 14 days to hear from the Police (27th November will be the 14th Day) But i'm not 100% sure if i got caught.

i need to keep my licence clean in the first 2 years of driving as insurance preiums ill be stupid. I know if i get 6 points = Ban and have to re-sit the test.

It was at night time, i think i saw a single flash and the weather was awful, it was wet and windy with leaves across the road. There was a van following me but he didn't seem to back off after i saw the flash.

1) Can i appeal? -- saying the weather played a huge part
2) I've been in a taxi and his been past the same camera doing 34MPH, no flash!
3) Will my insurance preiums go up alot?
4) Seeing some video's on youtube, At night time the cameras have 2 big flashes, and during the day its just one single flash?
5) Do i have the option do to a 'Driver Awareness Course'?

Thanks
Dan
matt-tdci
Hi Dan, i don't think you aught to worry to much. A cars speedo is usually up to 10% out anyway, ie my mondeo hoes 28mph at an indicated 30 mph on the speedo, so it was likely that you were not doing 30 mph in fact less.

also a gatso flashes twice, i think you are ok on this one, a single flash is likely to be a car as you said, just the cars headlights moving up and down through suspension travel, and it just caught your mirror or something....

saying that, i was in a rover 200 (it was a hire car from the local garage) and a friend of mine was driving, he got flashed will accelerating out of the camera lines (33 mph ish) and he got flashed, never got anything through trough.

You will have to wait the 14 days for the NIP to come through (very much doubt it tho)

Im sure your ok.

Also its my first post, so anything wrong here please shout it out wink.gif good luck.

Matt
Dannyboy2005
Hi

Thanks for your reply. It was Actually a Turvelo that flashed me.

Looking on the Turvelo website, i found that this picture is from rear photography (http://www.truvelouk.com/rearphotography.phtml). It shows the VW front wheels are over the lines when he got caught, where as my REAR wheels were over the line.

I know that speedo's are 10% out, this is to cover the manufactures ass.

I was told that camera's are set to alloy a few extra MPH? I know that the mobile ones are set to 10% + 2 MPH (So techncally you could do 35MPH in a 30 befroe you get caught) but thats up to your local force's choice..

Surely they arn't stupid enough to flash at 31MPH?

Can i do a drivers awareness to avoid the points if a NIP comes though?
Spitfire_55
Yes - Depending if the Police Force in the Area you were caught in do a SAC...

However @ 31 in a 30 , you were probably doing 29MPH , Speedos are not 100% accurate. i highly doubt ull get a nip!
Eiffel
Are you sure Speedos accuracy are still 10 pct off ?
I think this is something from the past ... and even : i drive a 24 yo 2cv ... and the speedo on the speedo is spot on the speed on the Satnav ...
Spitfire_55
My dads Says 30MPH on the Speedo
Sat Nav says 28MPH

Thats a Laguna
Dannyboy2005
Well its a S reg Punto, nothing rocket powered.

I've been reading a few forums, says the flash is Purple? I'd say it was a Neon Bluey/ Whitey flash.
Hotel Oscar 87
QUOTE (Dannyboy2005 @ Sat, 14 Nov 2009 - 19:13) *
Well its a S reg Punto, nothing rocket powered.

I've been reading a few forums, says the flash is Purple? I'd say it was a Neon Bluey/ Whitey flash.

The purple/magenta filter over the Truvelo flash unit is for forward facing photography - though that is not to say that it hasn't been left in place as these cameras (dependant on type/set-up) can be used in either forward or rear-facing mode.

The cameras are activated by way of a piezo-stip in the road and the flash will activate at a set time period after the piezo-strips have detected excessive speed. The three white lines are used as a secondary check in that the timing of the flash should mean that if everything, in terms of the speed computation and timing, is OK then the photo should capture the front wheels within the three lines. The fact that it would seem that the flash activated at a point where your rear wheels were on the lines would seem to suggest to me that something is amiss. Others may correct me.

It may, of course, just have been a firework.
tra71
Yes you will probably be offered speed awareness. My speedo shows 30 and my satnav shows 28. I think most cars show as slightly higher than the actual speed you're doing...
Hotel Oscar 87
QUOTE (tra71 @ Sat, 14 Nov 2009 - 19:28) *
Yes you will probably be offered speed awareness. My speedo shows 30 and my satnav shows 28. I think most cars show as slightly higher than the actual speed you're doing...

... provided that they are offered in the police area within which this occurred. Check here to see if they are on offer. All of this assumes that:

a) it was the camera that flashed
b) everything was in order - see above
c) you ultimately receive an NIP
d) everything else being equal, you are eligible to accept any such offer.

Personally, I'd sit back and enjoy life. If an NIP does arrive then you'll know where to come for advice.

Dannyboy2005
Bedfordshire Police - Course in planning stage at time of information.

I know that we DO have a course, its like £70, but a hell of a lot better then the points. My boss is going on one in the next few weeks.

If it dose come though, will it give me a option to go on a speed awareness course? Or is it the sort of thing i'd have to write a letter to my local police about?

Thanks for the help so fat guys

Dan

QUOTE (Hotel Oscar 87 @ Sat, 14 Nov 2009 - 19:24) *
The purple/magenta filter over the Truvelo flash unit is for forward facing photography - though that is not to say that it hasn't been left in place as these cameras (dependant on type/set-up) can be used in either forward or rear-facing mode.

The cameras are activated by way of a piezo-stip in the road and the flash will activate at a set time period after the piezo-strips have detected excessive speed. The three white lines are used as a secondary check in that the timing of the flash should mean that if everything, in terms of the speed computation and timing, is OK then the photo should capture the front wheels within the three lines. The fact that it would seem that the flash activated at a point where your rear wheels were on the lines would seem to suggest to me that something is amiss. Others may correct me.

It may, of course, just have been a firework.

I instantly thought this too, first thing i thought of was my insurance preiums for the next 4 years.

Thanks for all your great help guys.
Hotel Oscar 87
QUOTE (Dannyboy2005 @ Sat, 14 Nov 2009 - 19:39) *
If it dose come though, will it give me a option to go on a speed awareness course? Or is it the sort of thing i'd have to write a letter to my local police about?

To the best of my knowledge Bedfordshire don't use combined NIP/COFP's so the first document you'll receive (if any) will be an NIP. Once you've satisfactorily completed that you should get the offer of a SAC.
bama
stop projecting.

sounds unlikely from your description that anything will arrive in the post.

as long as you have checked that your speedo doesn't under read by a significant amount I wouldn't sweat it at all.
headlight flash, firework, some joker with a flash that likes scaring drivers....
Ocelot
I'd be flabbergasted if you received a NIP for that speed. GATSOs go off wrongly all the time, so I don't see why truvelos shouldn't.
PRg
If you were definately doing 31mph on your speedo, you should be okay. Have you or your mate got a satnav that tells you your speed? I now TomTom's do, then drive your car at 30 and see what speed the speedo says. Both my current car and previous car are 4mph out, so at 30 im actually doing 26, my brothers is 5 and my dads is 3. You will be fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.