Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Urgent - Advice Needed
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
sess4561
I received a parking ticket from a private company back in August for parking for 30 mins in an Iceland car park.

As I did not use the Iceland shop, but the shop next door, I assumed at the time that I must pay for the ticket.

I was advised by a colleague at work that this was not the case and I should dismiss the ticket as he did it 'all the time' for private tickets he received.

I now have a letter from a debt collection agency, who have doubled the cost of the ticket (now £80), and threatening with court action or a visit from a doorstep collector if i do not make the payment.

Do I have a leg to stand on in regards to not paying the fine, or am i best just biting the bullet and paying up?

any help much appreciated.
MartinHP71

The advice stays the same as your friend said, IGNORE them.

This is normal threatening letters, they have no basis in law and if you read them will say things like WE MAY take you court, WE MAY send people round but in reality they don't. They hope to get people to pay by threatening means so don't.
Kensington
Hi,

One word; IGNORE!

They are trying to get you to pay for them 'providing a service' by invoicing you. It is not a PCN merely a civil matter. They will no doubt send more letters but they havn't got any power of enforcement. Do not respond to them and eventually they will go away. No doubt someone else will come on and underline this. The forum is full of these situs, just take a look and it may reassure you.
dave-o
Your friend is right. It's a mail scam. They will give up after 4-6 begging letters.
Gan
Private companies cannot issue fines or penalties.

The most that they could claim in your situation is the damages for your "trespass".

As the damages are limited to their losses - which are zero - they will never take court action. A debt recovery company has no power.

The reason we nearly always advise "ignore" is that it prevents you from making admissions or giving any information that could be used against you.
sess4561
I may have made a mistake but I phoned the debt collection company when I received the letter. (prior to finding this forum).

On the other end of the line was a very rude, abrupt man, and after saying I would clear the debt but could only afford to pay £10 per week,
he said it was unacceptable and asked questions about what other debts I had that were of higher priority than this!

In response to this I said putting food on my childrens table is far more important to me than a parking ticket!

I know £80 is not a lot of money really, but its the principle.

Do you think i should phone them back and say I am not acknowledging the debt, and any further correspondance from them I will consider harrassing ... or just leave it and ignore it?

Thanks again guys.
ianagarrison
Just ignore the scumbags. They don't give a rats ass about parking, all they want is the cash in your pocket.

Ignore and you'll be fine.

Can I have £80 please?
sess4561
yeah sure. i'll just get my credit card. laugh.gif
dave-o
£5 surcharge for credit cards, guv.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.