Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 38 in a 30 - first time
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
piratepete
I caught a letter yesterday saying 38 in a 30 Notice of Intended Prosecution...I think you know the drill. It was me driving and it's all fair so can't worm out of it.

It says I have to reply to this letter within 28 days, Fine, but I am off to the states for 3 weeks on saturday, so anything they send back I won't be able to read, I don't want them to send a letter back and it have something saying '14 days to hand license in' or something like that and me not have a clue as I'll be 5000 miles away! I need to take both parts of my license with me as hiring a car in the states too!

So stressing over that really!

It also has an FAQ sheet with it saying Nottingham do a Speed Awareness Course, that I might be able to attend and skip the points and fine, I have a clean license at the moment so this is definitly preffered, anyone know how this runs in Notts or from doing 38 in a 30 I'll be able to 'do' it? Was caught at 7:21pm on a wideish road not outside a school or anything, that help me at all?

I could ring them tomorrow and ask but have a feeling they might not be all to friendly?

Cheers!
piratepete
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - November 2009
Date of the NIP: - 2 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 5 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A60 Mansifel Road (Nr St Andrews Road) Nottingham
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons -

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 22:30:38 +0000
Hotel Oscar 87
I wouldn't bother with the phone call.

At the speed alleged you are within the ACPO threshold for consideration for a speed awareness course (Posted limit, i.e. 30mph, + 10% + 6mph = 39mph). On that basis I would return the form, duly completed, and ensure (by using Special Delivery) that it arrives within the 28 days permitted. On the basis that it will take them a few days to process your reply and then send out a second set of papers - which in turn will give you a further 28 days in which to reply - you should have ample time in which to accept whatever the next set contains.

There is an outside chance that you will receive a Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty (£60 + 3 points) but on the basis of what you got so far I'd be surprised if Nottingham applied a diferent set of criteria to other forces in terms of who gets a Speed Awareness Course offer.
piratepete
Thank you very much for your reply,

Now I see that it will be a 28 day turnaround on any letter coming back to me I can post this one of at the end of the week special delivery, and then 'buy' the time I need for my holiday, sweetness. I'll have to do a bit more research into these speed awareness courses now, a day off work if nothing else! (wron attitude I know!)
Mozzer
Pete ive just been zapped 37/30 on Wantall Road near the Three ponds at Nutall.

I called the scamera hotline and explained the speed and the women said they do do Speed awareness courses and i should be offered one. So i would think a good chance you mayl be offered one of those For your “mistake”

Maybe worth calling them for see if they say you should get one and post back on here.
piratepete
QUOTE (Mozzer @ Mon, 9 Nov 2009 - 10:40) *
I called the scamera hotline and explained the speed and the women said they do do Speed awareness courses and i should be offered one. So i would think a good chance you mayl be offered one of those For your “mistake”

Maybe worth calling them for see if they say you should get one and post back on here.

I'll call them tomorrow then to find out some info on that,

when you say 'offered one' did that mean they'll get back to you by post/phone in the next few days/week/28days? Or is it still only a chance you get to do the course rather than pay the $$$?

Cheers!
Mozzer
QUOTE (piratepete @ Mon, 9 Nov 2009 - 11:38) *
QUOTE (Mozzer @ Mon, 9 Nov 2009 - 10:40) *

I'll call them tomorrow then to find out some info on that,

when you say 'offered one' did that mean they'll get back to you by post/phone in the next few days/week/28days? Or is it still only a chance you get to do the course rather than pay the $$$?

Cheers!

Yeh she said "offered" purely based on the speed. Ive still to send the NIP back yet give it another week or so!! They still could turn round and offer me 3 points and a 60 quid'er. Knowing my luck they probably will.

But both myself and you are with in the ACPO guidelines for offering Courses as an alternitive. It weather Notts do them and it appears they do. A newish scheme i gather run by a 3rd party called Drivetec.
piratepete
I phoned the Notts ticket office today, on the phone they said due to not having been on a speed awareness course before, and the speed I was doing, I am eligible to do the course and that is what will likely happen. So return the form and await there reply.

BUT!!!

When/if they do send out the form for the speed awareness course you must reply within 14days, meaning I have to play it careful with timing that around my holiday. Just incase anyone thought they'd get another 28days grace like I was hoping. Means I have to trust a friend/post this letter from the US to make sure I am back in the UK for that 2 week window!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.