Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UKPC parking ticket at Tesco
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
memkad
Hi All,

I got a parking ticket at a tesco supermarket for wrongly parking in a disabled bay. (Car park operated by UK Parking Control Ltd)

I had my 3 week baby with me and didn't want to walk half a mile to the store enterance, as all the parent bays were full. Wrong I know.

I called and spoke to Tesco, explained the situation, but they said the final decision is with UKPC and they would not cancel the ticket.

Does the car park operator have any power to chase me if I don't pay? What is the worst case senario? What would you do?

Thanks in advance

Gan
No power to chase you at all.

They can send a load of letters designed to cause concern, even a solicitor threatening court action but it will never happen because they can't win in court.

The worst case scenario is if you appeal it because they will see you as a soft touch who admitted the "offence".

Best approach is to ignore anything they send you and either shop online for home delivery or go elsewhere. Most of the supermarkets though in my area have similar arrangements.
axeman
know UKPC very well, they do letters not court, its a scam IGNORE any correspondence, file away in a drawer and relax
dave-o
As above, ignore the scam ticket and the 4-6 letters you will recieve before they give up.

Write to Tesco head office and tell tham that, due to their use of these unregulated crooks, you will no longer be shopping at any Tesco stores, and will be advising your family and friends to boycott them also.
ManxRed
You need to know that road markings (including normal bays, disabled bays, yellow lines, hatchings, etc....) are absolutely meaningless in the eyes of the law when painted on private land (such as a Supermarket car park for example).

Although some people might view parking in a disabled bay (when you're not disabled) as morally dodgy, you have committed no offence whatsoever. If it went to court it would get laughed out.

Ignore everything they send you, including the (bogus) threats of court action and CCJs and the like. Its all designed to scare you into paying them money you don't actually owe them.

Its a scam.
ST03KSY
I've just been caught doing exactly the same -
couldn't get a parent baby space at tesco and can't open the doors wide enough to get the baby seat out in a normal space so parked in a disabled bay whilst I used the changing facilities and bought baby milk (about ten minutes)
I returned and found a ticket. I have allready replied to them though - appealing due to the circumstances.
had I read all of this first I would have ignored it but I have allready told them I was driving and why I parked there! What should I do now? They havent replied to my letter yet but have sent a request for payment - £40 in 14 days or £80 after.

I have since been told that the employees in the car park hide in their cars without their yellow jackets on and sneak up to the cars to put the tickets on and then hide back in their own cars. The gutless pigs.
Gan
QUOTE (ST03KSY @ Fri, 30 Oct 2009 - 21:01) *
I've just been caught doing exactly the same -
couldn't get a parent baby space at tesco and can't open the doors wide enough to get the baby seat out in a normal space so parked in a disabled bay whilst I used the changing facilities and bought baby milk (about ten minutes)
I returned and found a ticket. I have allready replied to them though - appealing due to the circumstances.
had I read all of this first I would have ignored it but I have allready told them I was driving and why I parked there! What should I do now? They havent replied to my letter yet but have sent a request for payment - £40 in 14 days or £80 after.

I have since been told that the employees in the car park hide in their cars without their yellow jackets on and sneak up to the cars to put the tickets on and then hide back in their own cars. The gutless pigs.

All you can do now is ignore the series of letters from their "debt collectors" and "solicitors". Very, very unlikely that they will risk court and without a judgement there's nothing they can do.

If you want to keep us informed of the situation and need advice, just start a new thread so things won't get confused.
memkad
Update

Issued with the 'ticket' on 19/10/09
Invoice sent to me 21/10/09
Reminder invoice sent to me 04/11/09

Nothing since!

I ignored them and they seemed to have got the message that I'm not paying! cool.gif

Thanks to all those members who gave me advice.
ManxRed
Thanks for coming back and letting us know, it serves as a good example to others in the same situation that they should ignore this type of 'ticket' (its an invoice, really!).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.