Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No NIP received .. yet
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
George_5
Hi everyone,

This Saturday will be 3 weeks that I was caught speeding by radar by two policemen in an unmarked BMW. To date I have not yet received any notification from anyone. I'm not sure what I should do, I was thinking (if possible) contacting the relevant people and informing them that I haven't received anything in the post. Should I wait instead? What happens if I don't receive a NIP? I'm concerned that if left too long I might receive something threatening at a later date.

TIA
MartinHP71
QUOTE (George_5 @ Thu, 15 Oct 2009 - 18:47) *
Hi everyone,

This Saturday will be 3 weeks that I was caught speeding by radar by two policemen in an unmarked BMW. To date I have not yet received any notification from anyone. I'm not sure what I should do, I was thinking (if possible) contacting the relevant people and informing them that I haven't received anything in the post. Should I wait instead? What happens if I don't receive a NIP? I'm concerned that if left too long I might receive something threatening at a later date.

TIA

When you say caught ... does that mean you were stopped by the policemen ? If so you would have been given a Verbal NIP and therefore will get nothing in the post except an offer or a summons depended upon what was the offence etc.

Might be a good idea to complete the NIP Wizard and post the results.
neil3841
If you mean caught as in stopped you won't get a NIP though the post if you mean caught as in flashed or zapped via mobile camera and not stopped if you are the registered keeper and have been for some time at that address you are home and dry.

I do not see why you would bother abought a NIP you have not got imagine the phone call

You I have not recieved a NIP for when I was caught speeding

Scammer what is your registeration

you your reg

scammer where where you driving and what speed were you doing

you give those details too

scammer thankyou we have nothing on our system but will get something made up and it will be with you shortly

There is a old saying don't prod a sleeping dog
andy_foster
Presumably you were stopped at the time and warned that you would be reported for consideration of prosecution for the offence of exceeding the speed limit (or words to that effect)?

If so, there is no requirement for a written NIP.

When stopped by the police, you will be dealt with in one of 3 ways -

given a bollocking and told not to do it again,
given a Fixed Penalty Notice (or notice under s. 54(4) RTOA 1988 if you do not surrender your licence), or
reported and subsequently issued a summons anytime within the following 7 months (6 months to apply for a summons, a few weeks to serve it).

If you were warned that you would be reported, I'd guess at 4 1/2 - 5 months for the summons to land on your doormat.

Obviously, this is all pretty much guesswork as you have neglected to tell us anything of any consequence so far.
George_5
Thanks for the replies everyone. Apologies for not supplying more details. Sounds like Andy_Foster is right

I'll provide details here:

Saturday night, around 21:45, was going approx 50+ in a 30 zone. I'm the owner of the car
Turned into a street, next thing I see blue lights in my rear view mirror. I pull over and remain in the car and a police office in uniform walks up to the car asks me to get out of the car and asks me if I know why I have been pulled over. I say because I was speeding, he shows me his radar, black unit, digital display, green background read 54. Officer then informs me that the zone is 30, and asks me for driving license and to sit in the back of the car. Officer said that he will have to write me up as my speed was excessive and a few people have been hurt seriously hurt or killed due to speeding on that road. I was then given a breathaliser test by his colleague. I also had my rights read/spoken, to which I agreed and I was then given my driving license back. I admitted that it was stupid of me to have sped. The officer then said I'd "probably" get 3 points and a £60 fine ... or it might be 4 points. He said that I might get court summons, depending on how my situation is viewed. And my offense will be reported.

Andy_foster: I guess this is the situation with my case, to receive a summons in the next few months. It's frustrating that it takes so long, as I don't know what the outcome will be, I'd like to pay the fine and just move on.

neil3841: funny, put a smile on my face wink.gif
Durzel
First off the Police officer was wrong about that you would "probably get 3 points and a £60 fine", even if the speed had been lower the fine you'd receive in court would be means-tested and have a victim surcharge (+£15) attached.

Secondly for a recorded 54 in a 30 a summons is all but inevitable, and the Magistrate Guidelines for such a speed indicate that you should expect to receive 6 points - no more, no less (assuming you don't present mitigation).
George_5
Thanks for the replies everyone. Obviously I don't know the proceedings with regards to speeding and fines. I'm wondering why it takes so long to receive a court summons - anywhere up to 5 months after the offence. What will happen once I receive the court summons, would there be a choice to pay the fine before attending court? If I have to attend court will I have a chance to state my case and any reasons for speeding? How long will the court day take, do I have to attend court for the whole day? I'd really appreciate if someone can explain the proceedings when you receive a court summons.
BaggieBoy
Once the offence is deemed too serious to handled by a fixed penalty, then it will be taken to court. There is no possibility to pay the fine ahead of the hearing, since until the magistrates have heard the case, the actual fine and points amount will be unknown. When you get the summons you will have a three options:

1) Plead guilty by post and just await your fate

2) Indicate you wish to plead guilty but will attend the hearing

3) Indicate you are pleading not guilty

If you have no intention of fighting the charge, then 1) is often the best option. You might opt to 2) is you intend to present mitigation for the offence, in order to reduce the sentence. For 3) you would need to have some form of defence, which it appears you don't.

Be aware though, if you opt to plead guilty by post, if the court decides that they may wich to impose a driving ban, you will then have to attend in person.
George_5
I've been reading about various penalties with regards to traffic offenses. Depending on the offense, the court may decide to disqualify a driver for x days or points will be "awarded".
This made me think about the difference between being banned or receiving a points penalty. With regards to insurance premiums, which offense is likely to push the cost of premiums up? Do the inurance companies see one penalty as more serious than the other, or does it not make that much of a difference anyway?

Does an offender have a choice between points or a ban if they go to court? cool.gif

TIA

jobo
you dont get a choice though you can influence the decision ( sometimes )

bans tend to be worse than points for insurance and it haunts you for a long time, as insurance comp sometimes ask have you ever been banned
George_5
I still haven't received any paperwork and it's now over two months when I was stopped.
Why does it take so long for a summons to be posted? Some people have received a summons up to 5-6 months after the offense took place. Does it take so long so that you are monitored, to see if you repeat any offenses, or is it just a slow process?

By the way, I have noticed that the road that I was caught speeding now has a speed warning sign. Maybe I can use that as my defense ...... "if the sign had been there two months ago I would have slowed down, if I was speeding" smile.gif
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (George_5 @ Tue, 8 Dec 2009 - 10:24) *
...or is it just a slow process?

Yes.

QUOTE (George_5 @ Tue, 8 Dec 2009 - 10:24) *
By the way, I have noticed that the road that I was caught speeding now has a speed warning sign. Maybe I can use that as my defense ......

I assume you mean a speed camera warning sign (and not a speed limit sign). If so there is no defence, since such signs are not required to displayed.
George_5
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Tue, 8 Dec 2009 - 10:28) *
I assume you mean a speed camera warning sign (and not a speed limit sign). If so there is no defence, since such signs are not required to displayed.

It was a sarcastic comment smile.gif
The road now has an electric speed warning sign (Dambach) which was not there when I was caught speeding.
BaggieBoy
I missed the smilie! You'd be surprised how many people would like to use the absence of a camera warning sign as a defence...
George_5
Just thought I'd update everyone. I finally received a court summons today (court date is 22nd Feb) with the option to plead guilty by post. The report says I was travelling 53mph in a 30 zone. I noticed on the forms that I have to supply information regarding salary, there is a form numbered "3 outgoings" which has information regarding weekly/monthly/fortnightly outgoings, does this form also need to be filled in or is it just for people that might struggle to pay the fine?

Is it worth appearing in court for this offense and pleading guilty in person? I've been advised to plead guilty by post if given the option
The Rookie
The fine is based on your weekly take home pay (less tax and NI only) it used to take account of your other regular outgoings, but now no longer does (despite my local MP and cabinet minister's assurance that the guidelines haven't changed - clearly another lying ploitician!), if you don't complete the form your take home will assumed to be £500.

A first offence guilty plea should see a fine of no-more than £500, otherwise it will be 125-175% of your weekly take home less 1/3 for an early guilty plea, at just over the lower threshold for that guideline it should be nearer the 125 than the 175.

Simon
George_5
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 3 Feb 2010 - 15:19) *
The fine is based on your weekly take home pay (less tax and NI only) it used to take account of your other regular outgoings, but now no longer does (despite my local MP and cabinet minister's assurance that the guidelines haven't changed - clearly another lying ploitician!), if you don't complete the form your take home will assumed to be £500.

A first offence guilty plea should see a fine of no-more than £500, otherwise it will be 125-175% of your weekly take home less 1/3 for an early guilty plea, at just over the lower threshold for that guideline it should be nearer the 125 than the 175.

Simon

Thanks Simon.
I'm prepared to get a hefty fine for the offense.
George_5
I have another question, if I plead guilty by post, is it worth adding a personal note explaining that speeding was irresponsible etc.. instead of not saying anything at all and paying the fine?
The Rookie
If you want to say anything, stick to pointing out factors that would be deemed aggravating that were not present, so good visibility, light/no traffic, no interferenace with other cars etc, keep it polite and aoplogetic, don't say it was irresponsible, if you knew that and still did it.......you could say you now realise how irresponsible it was though!

Simon
George_5
Thanks again Simon.

I'm in the process of filling out the forms so that I can post them asap but I'd like to double check something. The page that mentions financial income states "Please provide evidence of your financial circumstances to the court", I'm not sure if that means if I appear in person then financial evidence must be provided or does this also apply to pleading guilty by post, should I post my salary slip with the relevant paperwork?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.