Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SYL with no notice, unknown start to CPZ
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Ashirus
I've been ticketed for parking on a single yellow in the middle of a working day.

1. The single yellow started from the beginning of the street and was preceded by a double yellow, i.e.
CODE
      |              |
       |           Me |
       |              |
   ====                =========

=============================

but there was no notice saying what the SYL restrictions were, either at the start of the road or on the road itself. If it was part of CPZ (controlled parking zone), does that make it restricted even if there was no sign after the transition between DYL->SYL or on the street?

Here's a Google Streetview of the entrance to the road: http://tinyurl.com/ltpnwl (give it a second to load street view)
and here's a Streetview of exactly where I wass parked: http://tinyurl.com/no6sqc

2. I can't find that I was in fact in a CPZ. This was in the City of London (Fore Street). How large can a CPZ be.

3. I was in fact loading the vehicle but was away from the car for a full 4 minutes while the POE observed my car (I came back while he was issuing the ticket with two heavy bags in my hand). City of London say:
"It is permitted on single and double yellow lines for a maximum of 40 minutes, as long as the loading and unloading is undertaken as a continuous procedure. If loading and unloading is not seen to be taking place a parking ticket may be issued. For commercial operations which do not meet these criteria dispensations must be obtained. "

atb,
Ash
Teufel
signs are required at the start of each cpz

cpz can be large and the entry signs far away
Ashirus
QUOTE (Teufel @ Fri, 11 Sep 2009 - 15:07) *
signs are required at the start of each cpz

cpz can be large and the entry signs far away

Surely there's supposed to be signage at the single yellow line too, at some point? Here there was a transition from DYL to SYL and no signs at all alongside the SYL.

As an additional point: the COE was on a bicycle and issues the notice while wearing his helmet (I have photos of this), can this be considered "not in uniform"? (Clutching at straws here, I know)
dave-o
Within a CPZ, signs are not neccesary unless they are conveying a restriction that is different to the rest of the CPZ.

I don't think anyone's won on the helmet thingy.
Ashirus
QUOTE (dave-o @ Fri, 11 Sep 2009 - 15:39) *
Within a CPZ, signs are not neccesary unless they are conveying a restriction that is different to the rest of the CPZ.

I don't think anyone's won on the helmet thingy.

OK, those two objections gone.

What about the loading claim? It appears City of London allow loading on single yellow lines.
dave-o
What were you "loading"?
Ashirus
QUOTE (dave-o @ Fri, 11 Sep 2009 - 15:55) *
What were you "loading"?

Some bags that I had picked up off a guy who was waiting round the corner
Teufel
were you parked solely for loading ?

for how long ?
Anorak
In my experience it is actually quite difficult for a council to win at adjudication when it comes to loading and unloading cases.

In your favour here is that you were only observed for 4 minutes without being seen. This absence does not conclusively mean that you were not still involved in the activity of loading or unloading. So long as you can reasonably explain your absence the adjudicator is likely to accept it. Such an absence could be due to the distance to fetch and carry, the bulk carried or related paperwork. If you have any witnesses then get them to submit a letter confirming their witness of your activity.

If you stopped at anytime for a cup of tea, toilet or to take a phone call this will not be accepted as part of the activity of loading or unloading.

The council's only evidence is a a few minutes where you were not seen so their case is not strong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.