Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Police tow and won't show the photos
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
eddie1234567
Hi, one of my colleagues was involved in an accident in the Highlands of Scotland and had to have their car recovered to Yorkshire.

The garage that it was going to was after his house, so he was dropped off at his house and the recovery vehicle then took the car onto the garage.

They say they parked it up all nice and neat and put the keys through the letter box of the garage in question.

The police towed the vehicle saying that it was dangerously parked (still awaiting info from him about parking restrictions, red routes etc).

He had to pay about £100 to get car back and to garage for repairs, he has asked the police for evidence of how the car was illegally/dangerously parked and they are refusing to show him the photos unless he gets a lawyer.

Anything I can give him to quote to them to get his hands on the photos: Already said put in a DPA request, but looking for more ammo, or way to word the DPA
Glacier2
Make a complaint against the officer that is refusing to assist.
eddie1234567
Well got more info from him and there are no restrictions on that street where the car was left and also advised him about making a complaint against the officer in questions.

Other info that came to light as well is:

1. The RAC whos contractor left the car are stating that the car may have been towed becuase it was damaged i.e. Police see vehicle, damaged. They think abandoned and tow it.

2. Police say no, it was because it was causing an obstruction (driver does say it's a normal road with other cars parked on it, but needs to see photos).

3. Car isn't in his name but his fathers.... Would this cause the police not to give info out to him i.e. not his data etc.
clark_kent
Why would a Police officer take photo's for a parking ticket I don't think they even carry cameras unless they are SOCO or Accident investigation.?
eddie1234567
I dont' know Clark, why would he take photos for a parking ticket?

No one mentioned a parking ticket and it is the police that are saying there are photos and if he wants them then to get a lawyer
clark_kent
QUOTE (eddie1234567 @ Wed, 9 Sep 2009 - 16:58) *
I dont' know Clark, why would he take photos for a parking ticket?

No one mentioned a parking ticket and it is the police that are saying there are photos and if he wants them then to get a lawyer

It was you that said it was towed because it was PARKED causing an obstruction? I don't know why they took photo's that is why I asked the question it just seems a bit odd, if I knew why I obviously would not have asked.
2020Hindsight
I'd doubt the police have photos. Normally when they tow it is the officer's opinion that it is casing an obstruction that's enough.
You'd just get a statement saying that they felt it was causing an obstruction so they towed it.
Lew
Would a better approach not be to pay the money, get the car back and then claim against the recovery company for a refund of £100?
He has expert evidence the driver parked it dangerously, the police officer?
Matts Dad
QUOTE (Lew @ Wed, 9 Sep 2009 - 19:05) *
He has expert evidence the driver parked it dangerously, the police officer?

Expert ????
Lew
OK, expert may not have been a suitable word, Reliable would be appropriate.
As the police officer is the one who decided the parking was parked dangerously, he is a perfect witness to prove this in court, and as the recovery driver was the one who parked it, then surely the court would agree with the police officers opinion and make the recovery company pay the charges incurred?
eddie1234567
Cheers for replies everyone, will pass it on to him
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.