Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speeding HGV
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
mad1
Hi [font="Comic Sans MS"][/font]HI All
New to this so please bear with me, I am a HGV driver been so for 38 years never had any points stops or any thing like it (goody two shoes me!)
no I used to doing testing so could not afford any. My question is this I was stooped by the police in a traffic car with video on it for doing 48 on a single road ( the limits 40 )
There were two officers, one did not want to know and say he would never have stooped me and could not see why the other one did.
There is no evidence of speeding other than the first officers word, it went to court fine with costs £250.00 plus points 3
I will appeal as there was nothing else just his word,
when I asked for corroboration of the speed I got one from 2005 this should be done when tyres are change or any thing else also he said he did a speed check with a stop watch, again no calibration of this also given in court
My question is why should the court believe his word when the other officer did not agree with the stop and could not confirm the speed being done?
the court should have thought hay ' look at this guy speeding I'll stop him' to the other officer who would see the speed then?
Any help would be useful.
AFCNEAL
There are two potential elements here:

1. The opinion of a PC together with a calibrated speedo (you say it was a traffic car?) is sufficient to convict.
2. Unless I've misunderstood you, the other PC was saying he wouldn't have pulled you because of the speed of 48, not because you weren't actually exceeding the posted limit? It is not unknown for PCs to align their stories prior to court anyway and thereby corroborate each other........

Others will have more learned views, but on the basis of your posting, I think you have little/zero chance of a successful appeal based on the points you're aiming at.........
The Rookie
I agree, I can't see you have any points there that disprove your guilt, othe officers opinion plus ANY speedo is enough to convict, if it wasn't calibrated and/or checked then very close to the limit it may be possible to cast reasonable doubt, for 48 in a 40, I doubt it very much.

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.