Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Light Offence
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
ddscot
Driving to work in Glasgow this morning I proceeded through what im sure was an amber light when exiting the M8.

Waiting at the junction was a police van which stopped me saying the lights were green for them and they know there is at least a seconds delay between red on my side and their lights turning green and that I had definitely therefore went through a red light.

They issued me with my first ever fpn £60 and 3 points which I accepted as the way I saw it was 2 of them versus one of me so why bother arguing.

Just wondering what people think, tbh the light was a bit close to be going through and I could have stopped but decided it was safer to carry on, I am sure however that the lights were still amber when I proceeded past the stop line but there was just no telling them.
Catweazle
A friend of mine (IAM and driving instructor instructor) had exactly the same happen to him in Glasgow. His wife was in the car with him and affirmed the light was not red. He retained a QC for his defence (who was convinced the coppers were lying because their statements were identical) - and he was still found guilty.
ddscot
I probably only ran through it because it was soaking wet and I didnt feel confident about stopping.

Guess the moral of the story is check for police vehicles if considering the same in future, im just annoyed at the points after 12yrs of incident free motoring and the prospect of my insurance co's reaction when I tell them, how are most firms about this?
southpaw82
Amber means stop (unless it's dangerous to do so).

I could have stopped

That sinks you.

You could put them to proof - toss up as to who the court would come down with.
2020Hindsight
As often happens on here with people and red light offences people are convinced a light was amber when they went through, but when they get photographic evidence it shows that they did pass through on red.
The light may have been amber when you last saw it, but doesn't mean it wasn't red by the time you'd finished passing the line and the other lights were changing to green.
ddscot
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Wed, 26 Aug 2009 - 10:49) *
Amber means stop (unless it's dangerous to do so).

I could have stopped

That sinks you.

You could put them to proof - toss up as to who the court would come down with.

You are right, you are annoyed at the time but after having time to think about the matter they did the right thing, fair cop.

Only thing I didnt like was the 18 yr old boy trying to tell me off in the van, and asking if all the ID I had was a bank card etc (what does everybody else carry) but I suppose they are just trying to establish if you really are who you say which they must of believed eventually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.