Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: foreign licence
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
hot-doc
HI
I have received a NIP for 37 in 30mile zone.
My brother visiting from India was driving (on an international license).
He has gone back home.
What do I do?
Thanx for advise
Insider
My brother visiting from India was driving (on an international license).

Clearly if you brother from India was driving your vehicle legally, with insurance and everything else needed then you should fulfill your requirements under S172.

however, you should be aware that the penalties for 'fibbing' are quite severe.... and 'fibbing' is not recommended..Unless you like soap and 6months.  :roll:
andy_foster
Within 28 days of the S172 request being served, you must provide the information they require regarding the identity of the driver.
If you were not the driver, there is no issue regarding self-incrimination, so I would suggest using the form they have so kindly provided.
trucker
same thing happened to me. My friend was driving my car on his international licence and i informed the insurance company.

He went through a red light and a speed camera on the same day. I named him as the driver and sent paper work back to police.

They replied to him asking him to go to the police station (he was still in the country). He went and took a copy of my insurance cert and his international licence.

They asked him some questions about who owns the car etc. The police (South York Police) said they will not take things any further providing he stops driving the car and that was the end of it.
viper
Why would they not take it further? He should be summoned to court just like anyone else especially if he is foreigner on UK roads going through red traffic lights and speeding on the same day
trucker
QUOTE (viper)
Why would they not take it further? He should be summoned to court just like anyone else especially if he is foreigner on UK roads going through red traffic lights and speeding on the same day

Theres no point taking action against anybody who's only here for a few weeks because of the time it takes to go through the system.

Also heard they rarely take action against anyone with a non DVLA Swansea issued licence, instead more than likely to just caution them.

Makes u think. If you have a European licence for example one from Rep of Ireland, you can use it over here and don't need to exchange it. Better still a car with Irish number plates lol, although 12 months is the maximum you can drive a car with foreign number plates i believe.
patdavies
QUOTE (trucker)
Better still a car with Irish number plates lol, although 12 months is the maximum you can drive a car with foreign number plates i believe.

I think that it is 6 months - and reset by an overnight booze cruise to Calais.  A previous neighbour did this with IoM plates.

After diplomatic plates, the next best thing is Arabic plates - they can't even read them, never mind copy 'em.
viper
You will just arrive at the port and probably go nowhere as all the cars are usually checked against the PNC _ if you’re lucky they might put you in a cell till they find out what your car is wanted for. I would also assume if the same plate keeps appearing they will take some action and it would go onto the ANPR/wanted vehicle list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.