Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Court Summons - attend or plead guilty by post?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
invest
Hi guys,

I drive a company car and said company received a NIP for my vehicle back in May detailing a speeding offence (51 in a 30). The company asked for photographic evidence to help name the driver but none was offered. The police threatened to take the director to court etc. After consultation i have been put forward as the named driver to the offence. I have just received my court summons for a date in September.

Would you recommend pleading guilty by post and putting forward your mitigation in this manner or actually going to court to do so?

The offence was at 5:40am, national speed zone into a 30. Failed to slow down in time enterting the restricted zone. Clear road, quiet village.

Any advice?

jobo
have you had you own 172

standard advise is to go

but there a possible short ban attached to this speed

they cant ban you in your absence) usually) and if they are thinking of banning you they will make you attend
invest
I have had my own 172 yes.

Want to get the most lenient punishment obviously...unsure whether or not a letter or court appearance will give me the best chance of this.
jobo
a lot depends what YOU think is leanienty

would you prefer 6 points or a ( say ) three week ban ?
invest
I have a clean licence, never been in any trouble before etc...
Would rather the pts to be honest.

If i go to court do i need representation/pay further costs etc?

On the one hand it's easier to plead guilty by letter - on the other i don't know if i like the idea of having ur fate decided without u even being there!!!!
jobo
as i said above, they cant ussualy ban you in your absence so

if you send a grovelling letter and they think to themselves , sod it we will ban him anyway, then you be TOLD to attend

at that point you can prepare a hardship argument as why they shouldnt ban you or only ban you for a short period

in my opinion a solicitor will just cost you a grand or two with no great benifit
invest
Ok thanks for your help jobo...

I shall prepare a letter with my mitigation 1st and hope that is accepted.
MartinHP71
QUOTE (invest @ Fri, 14 Aug 2009 - 12:28) *
The offence was at 5:40am, national speed zone into a 30. Failed to slow down in time enterting the restricted zone. Clear road, quiet village.

Don't use any of these as reason for mitigation. Worth reading abit more about mitigation before you respond and post response up before sending might be a good idea.
Dhutch
Im in a very simular situation, in that ive just had my summons, again for 51 in a 30mph, if you want to see my thread.

- Otherwise, while im reading this, whats a 172?

Daniel

BaggieBoy
QUOTE (Dhutch @ Sat, 29 Aug 2009 - 13:31) *
Otherwise, while im reading this, whats a 172?

A request for the person recieving the notice to name the driver at the time of the alleged offence.
The Rookie
QUOTE (MartinHP71 @ Fri, 14 Aug 2009 - 13:48) *
QUOTE (invest @ Fri, 14 Aug 2009 - 12:28) *

Don't use any of these as reason for mitigation. Worth reading abit more about mitigation before you respond and post response up before sending might be a good idea.

I disagree, its normal in a mitigation statemnet to mention the lack of aggravating factors, so if its not wet/dark/foggy/heavy traffic but clear dry bright and light traffic, say so, although its better to write it in 'English' rather than as a bullet point list! The OP admits the offence so explaining how he failed to slow fast enoiugh is not an unreasonable way of introducing the information I think, he also obviously realises the seriousness of the offence and the implications it may have had, and this will have opened his eyes to that fact.

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.