Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: caught speeding with no evidence
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
gsxr 600
Hi to all, I was apparently caught driving at between 92 and 92 mph on the motorway when I was actually doing around 70.I could see a marked bmw x5 in my rear view mirror about a mile away and maintained my speed at 70 mph. The officer speeded up and as soon as he came behind me pulled me over. He straight away said I was doing between 92 and 94 mph and issued me a fixed penalty noticed. I informed the police officer that there is a fault in my turbo and my car will not go over 70mph anyway. I refused to sign anything and asked for evidence. He said there is no evidence.There was no camera in his car or anything of that sort. I have today recieved a summons for court. All it says on the summons was that i was cought doing the above offence and '' I later checked the calibration of the speedometer on m... motorway, at ... on a measured mile using calibrated stopwatch number 10.
I since got my turbo repaired but however I did this a month later and have the evidence for this. Dont if it will help.
Can anyone help please????????
spanner345
All that is required on a motorway is one policeman's opinion and a calibrated speedo. It appears he had both.

Fill in nip wizard, best place to start.
Mayhem007
Unless you can get expert proof that your vehicle will not do more than 70mph with a dodgy turbo, then you may be screwed.

However, the police report should state how he used his speedo to gauge your speed, i.e. over what distance did he carryout the follow check and what distance he maintained during the follow check.
gsxr 600
QUOTE (Mayhem007 @ Thu, 6 Aug 2009 - 15:13) *
Unless you can get expert proof that your vehicle will not do more than 70mph with a dodgy turbo, then you may be screwed.

However, the police report should state how he used his speedo to gauge your speed, i.e. over what distance did he carryout the follow check and what distance he maintained during the follow check.

What if I go to the garage I got my car repaired from and ask them to write it on paper the exact problem with the car at the time????
jobo
well they cant do that can they ?

they can write a report of what was up with you car when they diagnosed the problem, was this before or after the incident

would they be prepared to do a section 9 witness statement and as will prob be required appear in court and state that the car COULD not exceed XXX speed ?
gsxr 600
I doubt they will be willing to go to court but I attended the garage a few days before I got pulled and then actually got the car fixed after the speeding offence which I have on black and white
Lynnzer
Sorry mate but you're on a loser here. If Plod says you were doing that speed it'll take a hell of a lot to convince the magistrates you weren't.
I have some sympathy as we all know here that plod do indeed tell lies.
I doubt it's worth the expense of going to court to contest this except for maybe admitting a reduced speed with a potential of less points or lower fine.
If on the other hand you are racking up enough points to put you close to a ban then a solicitor would be the best bet but they don't come cheap and don't always win the case.
The only escape to this is the fact that the police car was around a mile behind you. This seems to be an exceptional distance to do a follow and maintaining this distance, making any estimate of speed pretty unreliable but plod will say he was only a couple of hundred yards behind.
Without an in car video system it's their word against yours. By the way I say "Their word". I presume there were two of them in the car?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.