Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speeding nip
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
markvirgo
I was pulled over for speeding doing 42 in a 30 at 0452 on 17/03/2009. on Amphill road bedfordshire by a officer using a ultralyte 20/20 laser gun.
he was on the opposite side of a 3 lane road and i had to pass him and go around a round about to return to the location of the police cars. They had 2 police cars a marked one blocked in by a unmarked one. It was still dark and they stopped me by running into the road waving at me to pull over.

The police officer who gave me the ticket was not using the speed gun but his Sargent was. onl yhis statement is enclosed with the summons.

I did not admit the offense but did plead with the officer not to write a ticket. (yes i know stupid of me) he noted this on his copy of the ticket.

I do not believe that I was speeding having just passed a fixed speed camera and not altering my speed. I was not in a hurry or late for anything.

I showed my license by the road and then i lost my part of the ticket and the police station said I would have to wait until court to show it again.

Now I have also got a failing to produce.

I do not recall him reading me my rights.

should I accept the points/fine and plead guilty or not guilty and state that because it was dark the gun could have picked up another object and also ask for a copy of the video from the police car.

who do I write to to get the cars video copy?.

What advise whould you give me. Thanks
srg
QUOTE (markvirgo @ Wed, 1 Jul 2009 - 22:17) *
I showed my license by the road and then i lost my part of the ticket and the police station said I would have to wait until court to show it again.

Now I have also got a failing to produce.

Did you actually show your licence at the police station? If so, did the police document anything at the time (even if you lost your producer)?

QUOTE (markvirgo @ Wed, 1 Jul 2009 - 22:17) *
should I accept the points/fine and plead guilty or not guilty and state that because it was dark the gun could have picked up another object and also ask for a copy of the video from the police car.

who do I write to to get the cars video copy?.

At court, a statement by the police will say you were speeding. As you suggest there were 2 police, it will be very difficult to dispute - even if it is dark.

The cars video you would not be entitled to unless you plead not guilty and then make a request.
The Rookie
I doubt the cars video will show anything, if the device was hand held its not linked into the car at all, to get the video you have to submit a complaint defence statement AFTER entering a plea of not guilty (at the first court hearing).

At the moment they don't appear to have declared any evidence of speed, after all the one witness statement, uncorroborated by any device and only with hearsay evidence from the operator is meaningless, that could be sloppiness on their part, or its possible that the other statement will be sent if you plead not guilty.

Were you at any stage offered a fixed penalty, it would be usual for 42 in a 30.

Roadside pulls are even harder to defend than those by a camera as there is no 'hard' evidence beyond officers statements with which to challenge the allegation.

Scotland or somewhere else in the UK?

Simon
andy_foster
Bedfordshire was in England when I did geography at school.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.