Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Friend caught speeding in my car
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
neverforget
Hi guys newbie here so be gentle

Basically were photographers and drive all over the country and we were doing a long run from portsmouth to north wales going via south wales and we take the driving in turns. My friend was driving as we went over the M4 Severn Bridge and ticket says M4 toll plaza so i presume its as you leave the bridge its for 77mph as my friend thought i was 70mph but turns out its 50mph.

Now he is worried as he has no insurance for my car ( which i was unaware off ) now will they pursue him for this also of will it end at the points and fine?

Kind Regards

Matt
bluegolfboy
This really depends on whether you have a Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty or a court summons. If a CoFP then it may be possible simply to send of the licence and have the 3 points put on it and be relieved of £60 as they might not check the insurance side.
neverforget
QUOTE (bluegolfboy @ Tue, 30 Jun 2009 - 15:37) *
This really depends on whether you have a Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty or a court summons. If a CoFP then it may be possible simply to send of the licence and have the 3 points put on it and be relieved of £60 as they might not check the insurance side.

Thankyou for your swift reply

I know it was very bad of him to drive without insurance and he knows how not amuzed i am for the very reasons you have stated.

I went to court afew years ago for speeding and they never asked for proof of insurance has things changed since?

Matt
jobo
you should be fine as ling as you play ball with them
bluegolfboy
Agreed... Play ball and you should be fine. If not then technically both of you can be found guilty of offences. That's why Britain will never change. The authorities focus on one little area (speeding) and forget about more important things. It's greed.

Reason for edit: Unasked-for advice removed WTF??? Freedom of speech is being infringed upon now!
Durzel
QUOTE (bluegolfboy @ Tue, 30 Jun 2009 - 15:55) *
Agreed... Play ball and you should be fine. If not then technically both of you can be found guilty of offences. That's why Britain will never change. The authorities focus on one little area (speeding) and forget about more important things. It's greed.

More important things like presumably driving without insurance or permitting to drive without insurance?
bluegolfboy
QUOTE (Durzel @ Tue, 30 Jun 2009 - 15:57) *

More important things like presumably driving without insurance or permitting to drive without insurance?

Yep...

All about the money... I don't care about 'speeding' but I would care if an accident was to happen. I don't live in a world where I depend on 'what if' but rather 'actual consequences'.

Speeding has little relevance and nobody suffers. Accidents have major consequences and people invariably suffer. Insurance has more relevance in my life than a petty motoring offence.

This isn't helping the OP though.

If they are in acceptance of the offence and the 'friend' is willing to take the points then pay the fine and hand the licence over. If you don't then they may dig a little deeper and discover the 'insurance' issue, not uncommon for 'difficult cases' to go down this route.
Top Cat

That argument doesn't totally hold water when you condsider it's at least £200 for driving with no insurance.

I'd suggest laziness or systems that don't talk to one another as a more valid reason.
neverforget
I read about when people say " friends abroad " were driving and police then ask for insurance? Would this not be the case for my friend or is it different as my friend lives in UK and hasnt left the country ??

If it went to court would they ask for insurance then?

nemo
QUOTE (neverforget @ Fri, 3 Jul 2009 - 20:12) *
If it went to court would they ask for insurance then?

If you were to nominate your friend as the driver and your friend was to play ball (ie by responding in a timely fashion nominating himself as the driver and accepting the CoFP which would inevitably come his way), then its unlikely that 1) it would end up in court and 2) equally unlikely that insurance details would be checked.
The Rookie
I doubt a CoFP will be offered for 77 in a 50, but the same principle applies, as long as he 'plays ball' its very unlikely his insurance status will ever be considered.

Simon
nemo
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 4 Jul 2009 - 06:38) *
I doubt a CoFP will be offered for 77 in a 50,

Quite so icon_redface.gif

I read the first post and focussed on the '70mph' comment and missed the '77mph' bit.

Apologies to the OP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.