Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bald Tyres
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
cearstaidh
Hi,

I managed to write off my partner's car. I had borrowed it for the weekend. When the police came to attend the accident they saw that the two front tyres were bald on the inside - something to do with tracking apparently. Anyway, my partner assures me she checked over the car before I left and that the tyres were all fine and had the right pressure in them. Yes I know it should have been me who checked but I'm just rubbish with cars! We had only recently bought the car and had been told that the tyres were practically brand new. We had done a maximum of 600 miles on them.

So if the tyres were fine when I left is there a possibility that they became so worn down during the accident - I remember weaving before totally loosing control. If so can I argue this in court?

What am I likely to get done for? No one else was involved in the accident but I alredi have 3 points. I'm still under 21, have had an accident so getting any more points is likely to make me un insurable even if I manage to keep my licence. I need my car for work and I need it to be able to go home to see my family.

Please help.

K
Jimi137
Hmmm thats a bit of a pickle you've got urself in lol. I think tbh the won't let done for that much - probably just a fine not point unless anyone else was injured or other cars were involved.

As for the tyres: Although yeh sliding in an accident will wear them down a bit, it wudnt wear them down so much as to nearly make them bald. Ive had 2 high speed accidents down both with epic skid marks (for over 50 metres on one of them) and my tyres didnt look that different after them
nemo
QUOTE (cearstaidh @ Mon, 29 Jun 2009 - 19:51) *
What am I likely to get done for?

Without knowing the specifics of the incident, then no one here can predict with any cetainty what is likely to happen next ie no further action; an allegation of driving without due care and attention; the offer of a driver improvement course (in lieu of court proceedings) - all are possibilities.

It may be the case that proceedings are also contemplated with regard to using a vehicle with defective tyres, assuming that the fronts were actually below the legal limit at the time of the incident.

Unfortunately, you are just going to have to wait for further correspondence from the police / courts before you can be clear on how things are likely to develop.
jobo
QUOTE (Jimi137 @ Mon, 29 Jun 2009 - 20:31) *
Hmmm thats a bit of a pickle you've got urself in lol. I think tbh the won't let done for that much - probably just a fine not point unless anyone else was injured or other cars were involved.

Come on jimi dont give advice if youve no idea what your taking about

did the police say they were dong you for it ? Tyres can be quite bald before they become illegal, a fact the police have been known to forget , arrange to have an Auto engineer to visit the car to undertake an inspection of the tyres,

If you get convicted. its 3 point per tyre, but as both offences were commited simmiltainiosly you should only get three points awarded
so that 6 points youl have, how long have you had your liciense
cearstaidh
Thanks for your replys.

The police said that they would write a report and send it to the proqulator physcal or however you spell it!!! They also got the car examined as they couldn't see any reason for me loosing control.

I've had my licence for almost 3 years.

K
jobo
well you wont be loosing it then, At least not for dodgy tyres, they may throw in careless

what was the result of this inspection

i would get my own undertaken to be on the safe side

here a link to every thing you might want to know about tyres

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=41646
The Rookie
QUOTE (cearstaidh @ Mon, 29 Jun 2009 - 19:51) *
We had done a maximum of 600 miles on them.

So if the tyres were fine when I left is there a possibility that they became so worn down during the accident - I remember weaving before totally loosing control. If so can I argue this in court?

Did you buy the car privately or from a dealer?

In my experience (I'm an engineer who has worked in the motor industry for 20 years) the tyres wouldn't wear to illegal (from good) in 600miles, and a few miles of 'weaving' (or more likley a few hundred yards) wouldn't do it, the poor tracking may have been a factor (get it checked, find out what it was before the crash) in the weaving.

Simon
2020Hindsight
If it was tracking they may have worn on the inside, so a cursory inspection of the outside by your partner may have just seen the outside.
No accident or weaving will wear the tyre tread down that much in such a short space of time- the heat generated to burn off that much rubber would blow the tyre out well before that.
peodude
If the tread is above the limit across 75% of the tyre then it is still legal, so if it is just the outer edge that is bald then you may be OK, if it is under 25% it's very important to have the tyres inspected as evidence, before the car is disposed of.
bluegolfboy
Jobo!!! I read the first two posts then remembered the topic so went looking... Found it, copied it and was ready to paste it in here and low and behold, you'd already done it you swine! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

As for the offences that are possible. Mr Foster has his Crystal Ball back and assures us that it is working this time... He could maybe shed some further light on the possibilities.

Your main concern should be yourself. The car is only a lump of metal. It was your other halfs lump of metal though... How you going to replace it?

Anyway. As mentioned, have the tyres checked! Have someone 'professional' verify if they are legal or not or even if possible take pictures of the vehicle and wheels (if it's getting scrapped) and remove the two front wheels and hold them as evidence.

NEVER take anything for granted with the Police. Cover all bases. I would recommend going back to the accident scene and getting some pictures and also trying to look for things which 'could' have caused the accident. Never take an Officers word for granted as their experience varies greatly. Check for uneven road surfaces, diesel/oil, loose grit ANYTHING which could have contributed. Get a mental picture in your head, take notes, run through the accident and see if there is anything that seemed 'odd'.

Was it raining by chance?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.