Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: motorway speeding and existing points
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
bearage
On 31st January 2009 was stopped doing 98 mph on M5 by police with pro laser 3

was given stop and search form and told to expect court summons, which I received 2 days ago.

At time of alleged offence I had 6 penalty points. By time of court date (July) will be down to 3 as 3 points will be over 3years old.

Court date set for July - am out of country (ironically taking part in a rally to raise money for charrity)

Is it best bet to plead guilty by post and fill in plea form with mitigating circumstances (i think i have some)?

Also, think i am likely to get 5 -6 points. Could i be disqualified under totting up if i get 6 points as i had 6 points on licence at time of offence (even though will have only 3 current by time of hearing)?

What else?!? - Thanks
nemo
For totting purposes, the points to be taken in to consideration are those which were in effect at the time of the [alleged] offence.
srg
QUOTE (bearage @ Sun, 28 Jun 2009 - 19:02) *
Is it best bet to plead guilty by post and fill in plea form?

Also, think i am likely to get 5 -6 points. Could i be disqualified under totting up if i get 6 points ...

It's always best to attend court suited and booted and show how contrite you are. This may (or may not) make them more lenient with sentencing.

If you get 6 points (which is possible), you would probably get a totting ban - which makes it more important you attend (if possible) if you want to try and avoid a ban.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.