Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FPN for "allegedly" Failing to Conform to Traffic Lights
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
marley22
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice if possible.

Yesterday my Wife was stopped by a traffic officer for going through a red light and was issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice. She totally disputes this and says that the light turned to amber after she had passed the stop line. She told this to the officer at the time and got into a heated argument with him about it. She'd previously failed her driving test for stopping at an amber light because the examiner told her that it was unsafe to do so and she should consider the traffic following her (not sure if I'd agree with him on that?).

Anyway, as I understand it, he was a traffic officer (she said "I don't know what type of policeman he was but his car did definitely have yellow stickers on it"). My Wife is a sales rep and over the years has managed to collect 9 points and now she's looking like totting up to the dreaded 12. She mentioned this to the officer and his response was "Not my problem" to which she replied "I'm working hard for a living, paying my taxes (and his wages by the way!) and you're going to give me another 3 points which will result in me losing my job and probably my home." to which he again responded "not my problem". When asked if he could show some discretion he just ignored her and started writing out the ticket. Apparently he was also quite aggressive in his manner and kept sneering "You've made me late for my meeting now!". (so there you finally have it proof that all police officer are robots and, regardless of all other things, are preprogramed with "must generate revenue!")

So the result is she has an FPN with the Offence Code: 18A "Traffic lights fail to conform junction". Can anyone tell me what this code relates to as I can't find any information on it and I would have assumed it should have been TS10?

Another thing worth noting that despite being in a traffic car the officer failed to show her any video evidence to prove his case and also she knows for definite that the he wasn't directly behind her because he said so (she believes he was in the lane of traffic to her left as she went through the lights) and therefore doubts that he could see what colour her traffic lights were.

She does intend to contest this and issue a formal complaint against the officer for his general attitude so any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
jobo
its prob a local code , sometimes they just make them up

he shouldnt have given her an fpn if h new she was on 9 points,

if she trys to pay it they will send it back any way

so its court oneway or another

TL offences are three ponts what ever

Theres two way of playing it, go NG, her word against a copper and hope she wins,

or go guilty and beg not to be banned becouse of exception hardship

she could go NG , be found guilty and then beg, but they dont tend to be well desposed, in those circumstances

when the summons comes she should get the coppers statement and see what he has to say about it ?
v105
Someone with 9 points is fairly careless! Amber does mean stop, not get ready to stop. The video evidence will be shown in Court.
jobo
QUOTE (v105 @ Sat, 27 Jun 2009 - 02:07) *
Someone with 9 points is fairly careless! Amber does mean stop, not get ready to stop. The video evidence will be shown in Court.

do you not read the posts

She totally disputes this and says that the light turned to amber after she had passed the stop line.
srg
> over the years has managed to collect 9 points and now she's looking like totting up to the dreaded 12

Are you certain none of the points have expired? When did she get them?
southpaw82
Yellow stickers does not (necessarily) a traffic car make. There may be no video at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.