Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what happens if.....
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
blackwaterslim
I found myself locked in a cliff top carpark, after walking my dog...never knew they could put gates across the road and lock them (9pm deadline) dead of night...apparantly there were signs...later found about 4 inch square! Anyway I looked at the gate...it was padlocked one end ..but on slip hinges the other...in other words all I had to do was lift the gate up....and it fell off. so I drove off.

Now lots of people saw me do this and took my number so I am expecting a call any minute....thing is car is company car...it was national trust land and the gate locked by private security company......who levy a fee for opening it after 9

Am worried lifting off the gate is criminal....but at same time if gate easy to open...it can not be locked ..right?
axeman
did you cause any damage? if not ...no worries, could you have lifted the gate back on once out?
blackwaterslim
well it was heavy and the way it fell off...it must have been broken...well er...I think the lock shackle was snapped.

I suppose I could have put it back...but I have a bad back!
uknational
If the sign was not obvious, then was not locking you in unlawful imprisonment - it is under any other circumstances. Therefore releasing yourself because you believe you have been unlawfully or wrongly prevented free passage is covered under the recognised legal doctrine of 'self help'.
Matts Dad
Seems to me that locking the car in the carpark is just the same as clamping it and you have the same right to 'self-help' as you would if you forcibly removed a clamp. If the signs are as small as you say, and not obvious then it is unreasonable to expect you to have seen them, and thus unreasonable for them to have locked you in.

Photographs of the signs, where they were in relation to where you parked and the entry to the car park would be a good start.
buttonpusher
Surely a gate to a car park is only to prevent drivers entering it after a certain time and not to prevent you exiting, unless the idea is to make money only.
Matts Dad
QUOTE (buttonpusher @ Wed, 24 Jun 2009 - 07:33) *
Surely a gate to a car park is only to prevent drivers entering it after a certain time and not to prevent you exiting, unless the idea is to make money only.

Surely not icon_wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.