Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Off Topic: RTA Sept 2004
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
TheSaint
I know this is slightly off topic, but i was wondering does the 6 month time limit apply to all motoring offences?

My dad had an RTA a few months ago, the police told him that they would be pressing charges - but as yet have not told him what charges they are pressing.

They have taken statements etc etc, but no caution.
No-one was permanently hurt, but my dad is expecting the worse. If it is not 6 months, does anyone know what it is, as you can imagine my dad is worrying himself sick waiting for something to come of it.
cjm99
Road Traffic Offenders act 1988

Time within which summary proceedings for certain offences must be commenced.  

6.—(1) Subject to subsection (2) below, summary proceedings for an offence to which this section applies may be brought within a period of six months from the date on which evidence sufficient in the opinion of the prosecutor to warrant the proceedings came to his knowledge.

(2) No such proceedings shall be brought by virtue of this section more than three years after the commission of the offence.
DW190
It would also help if some detail of the accident was known.

As Chris said it is 6 months for summary proceedings but some more serious motoring offences are dealt with differently.
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (cjm99)
Road Traffic Offenders act 1988
Time within which summary proceedings for certain offences must be commenced.
        6.—(1) Subject to subsection (2) below, summary proceedings for an offence to which this section applies may be brought within a period of six months from the date on which evidence sufficient in the opinion of the prosecutor to warrant the proceedings came to his knowledge.
   (2) No such proceedings shall be brought by virtue of this section more than three years after the commission of the offence.

Chris is referring to the offences for which the extended time limits apply, however, neither causing death by DD, DD, nor careless and inconsiderate are subject to the extended time limits.
The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, schedule 1 and its amendment.
OU812
Have a feelling the 6 month limit is actually from the Magistrates Court Act (dont have it to hand I'm afraid) - so I wont be specific to speeding just things that get tried in a Mags court
TheSaint
The police told my dad that they would charge him with either dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention

That was months ago now.. no more communication since.
Upon querying my parents more, my dad made a statement (DOH!) without a solicitor (DOH!) and without even a witness (DOH!).

He then signed the statement written by the office (DOH!).

So in short he seems to have done everything wrong - but curiously not cautioned.
DW190
QUOTE (TheSaint)
The police told my dad that they would charge him with either dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention

That was months ago now.. no more communication since.
Upon querying my parents more, my dad made a statement (DOH!) without a solicitor (DOH!) and without even a witness (DOH!).

He then signed the statement written by the office (DOH!).

So in short he seems to have done everything wrong - but curiously not cautioned.

Dangerous Driving if convicted can carry very heavy penalties.  (But hard to prove)  I dont think the 6 month limit applies for DD.

Yorke was charged with DD and the case was heard in Chorley.  His solicitor (Nick freeman) obviously struck a deal of pleading guilty to Driving Without Due Care in return for the DD being dropped.

Yorke in Court
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (DW190)
I dont think the 6 month limit applies for DD.

I believe it does (as above), unless they can get round it by giving you a jury trial (DD is each way).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.