Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UK Speeding Ticket on a Swedish Licence
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
fiddlesticks
Hi all

I wondere if ayone can let me know where I stand.

I was caught speeding (36) in a 30 duel carriageway by a speed camera.

I recieved the letter asking who was driving which I sent back as I was.

I then recieved aa letter informing me I would get a £60 fine and 3 points off my licence. Or I can take a speeding awareness course for £105 then I won't be prosecuted. The letter was ment to be intimidating and I felt threatening!

If I do not take up the offer of the course within 14 days they would prosecute me and I may have to go to court.

My questions are:

1. Do I send the letter back filling in the part of acceting the points and the fine as I don't think they can give me points ayway?
  2. Can they fine me more than the £60 for such a minor offence?
  3. What is the likelyhood they will take me to court and waste taxpayers (mine included) money over this?
  4. I am Swedish with a Swedish Licence living in the UK. My Licence was not therefor issued by the DVLA. Can they enforce my points?
  5. What do you think I should do?
  6. What's the worst that can happen?
Sorry it's so long winded.

Hope someone can advise me.
srg
QUOTE (fiddlesticks @ Sun, 31 May 2009 - 19:09) *
  1. Do I send the letter back filling in the part of acceting the points and the fine as I don't think they can give me points ayway?
  2. Can they fine me more than the £60 for such a minor offence?
  3. What is the likelyhood they will take me to court and waste taxpayers (mine included) money over this?
  4. I am Swedish with a Swedish Licence living in the UK. My Licence was not therefor issued by the DVLA. Can they enforce my points?
  5. What do you think I should do?
  6. What's the worst that can happen?

Lots of questions

1 - You can, but I wouldn't and I'd take their offer of a course in an instant. They can give you points on a licence they will create for you just for this purpose if you don't take the course.
2 - They can (and will almost certainly) if it goes to court.
3 - They are very likely to take you to court if you don't either do the course or accept the points+fine
4 - Yes, see item 1
5 - Take the course. Any other option is silly IMHO
6 - You go to court, get points and fined.
Glacier2
They can give you points. The law was changed recently. If you go to court it will cost your around £100 and costs.

I would take them up on their offer of a speed awareness course. It would be silly to get points if they could be avoided.

ford poplar
If you are resident in the UK for more than 183 days per year with a perm UK address, your Swedish licence is only valid for ~12 months? I believe. Take the course
The Rookie
QUOTE (ford poplar @ Mon, 1 Jun 2009 - 03:42) *
If you are resident in the UK for more than 183 days per year with a perm UK address, your Swedish licence is only valid for ~12 months? I believe. Take the course

Bo!!ox Valid forever as an EU citizen,

Simon
nemo
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 1 Jun 2009 - 06:54) *

Simon

Ahem.

For GB residents, a valid [ordinary] community licence allows its holder to drive in GB until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period.
The Rookie
OK sorry, forever was an exageration, but its certainly NOT 12M.

Simon
fiddlesticks

A swedish Licence is a European Licence so is this really accurate? Vaild for 12 months.

Simon

Thanks Simon.
nemo
QUOTE (fiddlesticks @ Mon, 1 Jun 2009 - 10:49) *

A swedish Licence is a European Licence so is this really accurate? Vaild for 12 months.

Thanks Simon.

Cough
The Rookie
Nemo, not sure why you linked back to this thread?

Simon
nemo
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 1 Jun 2009 - 12:02) *
Nemo, not sure why you linked back to this thread?

Because the OP was thanking you for the supply of incorrect information.
fiddlesticks
OK.

I know ther are many self rightous individuals out ther who think they never break the speed limit but I would argue that point. It is easily done on certain roads. Don't tell me you have never looked down and realised your going faster than you think, then ammended your speed? I do not need a speed awareness course. In residential areas I stick to 30 or even 20 when the change is clearly signed. Yes I was going 36, yes this equate to speeding. And in 35 years of driving this is my first offence!

How will 3 points on my licence negatively affect me if I do not drive for a living?

Thanks for the useful factual answers which are the most helpful.

Glacier2
How will 3 points on my licence negatively affect me if I do not drive for a living?

Unless you have an over zealous insurer 3 points won't make any difference.

Also to clarify things, EU licences are valid in the UK until their expiry.
Pete D
If you are offered, and take the speed awarness course, there will be no points on any licence. The advantage being that if you are using a UK insurance company then although if you took the points would probably not effect your insurance, if you picked up another 3 points, by accident, then it would effect your insurance premium until the first points are 5 years old. £45 extra is not a lot to make the problem go away. Pete D
Glacier2
Agreed. Money well spent.
fiddlesticks
Thanks for your replies Guys.

One last question: How do the DVLA go about putting the points on my Swedish issue Licence?

Thanks unsure.gif
Glacier2
They create a record on their system with your details recorded against it.
fiddlesticks
Thanks G2
Gaza
In effect they create a shadow license linked to your Swedish one. If you get 9 more points in three years you would be banned in exactly the same way as if you had a "normal" UK license. If I was you I'd ge over my pride and take the course.
/dev/null
Take the course - you'll be done for £60 if you take the COFP anyway, probably ~£100 if you go to court, and both with 3 points!! So for the extra few quid, do the course and lose the points! There are many people on here who would love to be in a position as to be able to take a SA course over a COFP! smile.gif
fiddlesticks
I'm quite amazed at how many people are stressing about me about taking the course for a minor offence! It's exactly the same tone as in the letter I received, pressure and a domineering manipulative tone to get me wrist slapped! This so they can lecture me for 5 hours I don't have, about, why, why not, why did I what did I think I was doing, what if........... 35 years driving and 3 points off my clean licence, I think my pride can take it.

The people I worry about are the perpetual lawbreakers who do not live a conscious life get away with blue murder and speed on a daily basis in highly dangerous situations without batting an eyelid or ever getting caught, but that's life. I can only tut at that as they speed past me on a daily basis.

Thanks for all you input, G2 especially.
The Rookie
The point is that 3 points is 1/4 of your licence (and for many people their livelyhood) gone, 3 more of these 'Jokes' in 3 years and your buying a buss pass, now for many I guess the chance of those three more may be high. I still have never had a scamera NIP despite my Wife claiming I only break the limit once per journey - from just after the start to just before the end (last caught speeding by a Patrol car and that was back over Christmas 1990!) but even I would be tempted by the course just to give me that safety buffer, the choice is of course yours and if your confident of not getting any more in the next three years, then accept the CoFP by all means.

Simon
andy_foster
QUOTE (fiddlesticks @ Tue, 2 Jun 2009 - 14:32) *
I'm quite amazed at how many people are stressing about me about taking the course for a minor offence! It's exactly the same tone as in the letter I received, pressure and a domineering manipulative tone to get me wrist slapped!

Absolutely.
This forum is intended to advise motorists so that they can make informed decisions, not for people who have no knowledge or understanding of the OP's circumstances to dictate what he should and should not do, out of the lawful options open to him.

My stock advice is to take the course unless you have a good reason not to.
Some people consider the time wasted at such a course to be more important than 3 points.
fiddlesticks
Thank again. All comments and advise accepted with the goodwill it was intended.

Be safe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.