Full Version: [NIP Wizard] Failing to Comply with Traffic Light Signals
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
the_stig88
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - April 2009
Date of the NIP: - 38 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 39 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A4540 Leebank Middleway @ Wheeleys Rd Five Ways, Birmingham
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I was travelling up the dual carriage way. In my rear view mirror, i saw an Ambulance with it's lights flashing coming up behind me. I then passed through the lights as they were on amber, pulled over to the left within the junction to allow the ambulance to overtake, as i then started to pull off, that's when the flash occurred.

Where do i stand? Does the fact that the NIP was sent to me 38 days after the event took place make any difference?

Thanks

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - No
Was there a valid reason for the NIP's late arrival? - No

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The first NIP to the Registered Keeper must arrive within 14 days unless there is a valid reason why that was not possible, for example a recent change of details.

This link will take you to the advice provided by the RAC's legal team.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:53:06 +0100
andy_foster
What is the date after the DocRef. No. at the bottom of your V5C?

If you had gone through a red light to allow an ambulance to pass, technically that would not have been a defence, but you would stand a good chance of having it dropped, or no penalty applied.

However, it seems that the 'flash' was when you were resuming your journey after pulling over to allow the ambulance to pass.

The offence is committed if any part of your vehicle moves past the stop line while the light is red.
If you were already completely over the line when the lights turned red, or if you were stationary for the entire duration of the red phase, the offence is not committed.

Did you stop completely after the line?
It might be worth asking the scammers for photos to help you to identify the driver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.