Full Version: axe79's new NIP
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
axe79
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - May 2009
Date of the NIP: - 3 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 6 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A6120 Ring Road Farsley between Calverley Lane & Priesthorpe Rd Leeds
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Didn't know of anything until receiving NIP.
The road in question is a de restricted dual carrageway with ( I believe a National speed limit of 70MPH)

The speed was recorded at 70 mph, contrary to Section S84 RTRA 84 Sch 2 RTOA & Local Order. I have travelled on this road for many years and have never been Gasco'd for speeding. The normal traffic flow is up to 70 mph, so what is happening.
I have looked at the highway code (Section 124) which confims 70 mph on de restricted dual carriage ways.

Are the Local Authorities pulling another fast one on us motorists and does this 'Local Order' (whatever that is) have the Sec of State Authorisation?

[b]NIP Wizard Responses

These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:45:30 +0100
andy_foster
One case - one thread! This is presumably unrelated to your other case which was resolved before this incident?

The dual carriageway was either de-restricted (NSL) or it wasn't.
You seem to be saying that it is, and the scammers seem to be saying that it isn't.

What makes you think that it is?
Pete D
That section of road is not a dual carriageway. It is a 3 lane road with two lanes S/W bound and one lane N/E bound. You can check it out on Google maps and you can see the Gatso cameras and markings.

I suggest to write to them, providing the Reg, NIP Ref and Name and request copies of any photo's to help identify the driver. Do not elaborate, or use the words evidence or proof. They do not have to provide them but usually do. This does not stop the 28 day clock for returning the NIP. Then you get the photo's wash off the ID and reg and post them in your thread using the instructions in the FAQ section and others will help you with measuring the distance travelled in the secondary check. The photo's will also help you to identify if you were the only car in the shots or you were the fastest. Pete D
BaggieBoy
What kind of vehicle were you driving at the time?
axe79
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Sat, 23 May 2009 - 18:41) *
What kind of vehicle were you driving at the time?

A Honda CRX CDTI

[quote name='andy_foster' date='Sat, 23 May 2009 - 17:16' post='366490']
One case - one thread! This is presumably unrelated to your other case which was resolved before this incident?

You seem to be saying that it is, and the scammers seem to be saying that it isn't.

Yes it is another incident unfortunately.

The de restricted signs and the highway code which I learned on passing my test in 1970 and have just referred to again today. Plus driving up that road regularly for the last 8 years at similar speeds.
nemo
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Sat, 23 May 2009 - 17:16) *

QUOTE (axe79 @ Sat, 23 May 2009 - 20:46) *
The de restricted signs and the highway code which I learned on passing my test in 1970 and have just referred to again today.

But the road in question does not appear to be a dual carriageway. And NSL on a single carriageway is 60mph.
andy_foster
A dual carriageway is a road that consists of 2 carriageways (going in opposite directions), separated by land or a physical barrier.
The number of lanes in each direction is irrelevant.
Pete D
Google maps has 'street view' for that road and you can read all the signs. As previously detailed this is not a dual carraigeway but is signed as NSL so the Limit is 60 mph. Pete D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.