Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DVLA Clamp
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Mattu101
Hi, I have recently had a car clamped outside my house by the DVLA for not having current tax,now may sound like a load of dry.gif but lets just say the 'owner' forgot to tax the car and had left it outside in waiting for a mobile mechanic... only to come home to a clamp.

Anyway while the last person to drive said car may have purchased insurance and tax for car they never actually owned the vehicle or had v5c in their name..

Therefore what would the repercussions be if somebody was to remove the car to its bare minimum.. just left the chassis and parts of engine.. would that be considered removing the clamp?, I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind the car being crushed in this state, would there be any charges if the crushing was uncontested?

Thanks.
uknational
The function of the clamp is to immobilise the vehicle. SO I would argue that as long as you had the one wheel with the clamp on, the suspension and chassis and most of the body, then the rest could be removed without 'removing the clamp'.

I would also argue that as long as you dont reassemble the vehicle, you might even get away with reducing it to one wheel and suspension and the chassis.

Theres only one person gonna know this one - Southpaw!!!

I once cut a car up with a 9 inch angle grinder, when the price of scrap was so low they charged £50 to take cars away. Its not to be recommended, its was long, boring and hard work, and a pitb in general.
Glacier2
Do not mess with the DVLA.
neil3841
I don't know but it seems to me as long as the clamp is not removed then taking parts off the car should be legal unless maybe if you take it so far it can no longer be called a car. That said if you drop the engine there is no way the DVLA bloke could know the car had a engine

I am sure someone on here will know
Mattu101
Don't think they'd be anyway of removing engine at roadside. Maybe somebody would remove the doors, electrics, interior, hopefully manifolds (somebody has a shortage of torx drivers tongue.gif ), alloys....

I know its a bit infantile (maybe?) but the look on their faces when they attempt to tow the car with no wheels... I must get out the camcorder.

Glacier2
If the car was a complete shed, I suppose there would be bugger all they could do as you did not move the car or remove the clamp.
Mattu101
If the car was scrapped would that be an end to it all.. would the cars owner be liable for any charges etc.

If not then a shed it is.
Glacier2
They would crush the car and then summons you for the road tax offences.
Mattu101
Hmm all this money wasted when If they'd just asked I could have explained and moved the thing..
bama
No money it it for them (or NCP) that way !
Jayen4
How about this method.

Remove the whole of the rest of the car from the wheel and suspension,on that particular corner and just leave the bit of suspension and wheel etc laying there in the road ?? laugh.gif You haven't interefered with the clamp,have you ?? I'd love to have an hidden camera watching their reaction,when they come to lift the car !! Where's the 'devil' smiley when you need it ?? lol
Glacier2
For a legal point of view, when the DVLA clamp do they not seize the car and it becomes their property until you pay up?
Mattu101
If I had the equipment to take the car and leave the suspension leg and wheel with the clamp attached I would.

Well must remember that the government really cares about us all.. that's why they promote extortion to guarantee their control, If it wasn't for my 6 month old son I'd have fun taking the car to pieces.. but looks like the money will have to be payed, can't afford an enforced fine of however much in future.

I take it 100 pound release fee + tax and that's it.. or am I missing another part of the money making scheme.

Also how likely is it to get any summons etc that are enforceable if you aren't registered though are traceable as the owner, I seem to remember selling the car a few months back now.. yes still waiting for the guy to pick it up... honest.
Glacier2
Whoever is showing as the RK as per DVLA records will get the summons.
ford poplar
What makes you think DVLA (a QUANGO) clamped the vehicle?
Any vehicle on the public hghway without current road tax is an offence enforceable by Police et al.
A stripped car, as suggested, could be viewed as an abandoned wreck requiring the Council to remove & crush. If they traced the last known RK I believe they could invoice him for disposal costs but he may avoid any back road tax due.

This is a hypothtical reply to a hypothetical question
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.