Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Summons for 77 in a 50 + no MOT
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
dajjo
Hi,

In October last year I got zapped by an officer using an LTI 20/20.
Nothing happened for over 6 months & then the other day I recvd a summons accusing me of 77 in a 50. The date of the summons & the royal mail stamp differ by almost a month but I guess there's nothing I can do about that.

Unfortunately the MOT had also run out - this was a totally innocent mistake & I rectified this immediately.

I'm not convinced that I was travelling at 77mph, especially with the notoriously inaccurate nature of this device but I'm torn between fighting my corner or just taking whatever comes my way - which I'm convinced will be a ban.
The road is a dual carriageway in both directions with a firm barrier between the 2 carriages, day was clear & dry.

I currently have 3 points on my license.

I contacted a popular motorists solicitor who want £3000 & then another £1500 for a report by the famous Dr Michael Clark. I can afford this but fear that I'll pay it but will be even more likely to get banned if my speed is proven to be as accused.

I'm really pulling my hair out over this, loosing sleep, spending an unhealthy amount of time worrying about it etc.

One other thing I noticed that probably won't help is that one of the witness statements from one of the officers says that he signed both of the 2 pages. He signed the first page only & the second unsigned page states that it is 2 of 3 - there is no 3rd page. Could this help me ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Yours Sincerely,
Dajjo

Forgot to add, I was pulled over at the time so no NIP necessary.
sharewatcher
First the good news------- It is highly unlikely that you will be banned, magistrates guidelines suggest 6 points + fine, there are no points for driving without an MOT, even if there were with two charges you would normally only get the points for the highest offence
Pete D
Were you stopped at the time or did you receive a NIP in the post withing 14 days. There is a lot of information missing here. Pete D
dajjo
Thanks guys,

I was stopped at the time so I was already told that I'd be summoned.

Is it worth kicking up a stink & getting the camera gear looked at ? I'm really not at all sure that I was travelling at such a speed.

Also what are the chances that I could reduce the points & ask for a speed awareness course instead ?

How do magistrates respond if you say "Up the fine & reduce the points please" ? Or do they just up the fine & keep the points the same sad.gif

Cheers,
Dajjo
srg
QUOTE (dajjo @ Wed, 6 May 2009 - 19:13) *
Is it worth kicking up a stink & getting the camera gear looked at ? I'm really not at all sure that I was travelling at such a speed.

Also what are the chances that I could reduce the points & ask for a speed awareness course instead ?

How do magistrates respond if you say "Up the fine & reduce the points please" ? Or do they just up the fine & keep the points the same sad.gif

Cheers,
Dajjo

Roadside pulls are very difficult to challenge - the Police are all upstanding members of the community, you see.

Your speed is out of the range for a speed awareness course, unfortunately.
Steve_Williams
I agree it is unlikely that you will get a ban.

Magistrates dont take kindly to being told what to do. They always need to think it is their idea. So you would have to play it carefully, you wouldnt say "up the fine but keep the points low" you would need to to show some good reason to keep the points low (a good reason in their eyes - not for your benefit) The problem is that by asking to keep points to a minimum you are really suggesting that you need to keep them low as you might need them later to avoid a totting up!

Perhaps the only potential argument MIGHT be that your insurance is already very high - if you could get a quote showing the effect on your premium of having 6 rather than 5 points. If there was a big difference you could argue then that they could punish you by a slightly higher fine and lower points so that the benefit of the financial penalty is reaped by the criminal justice system rather than the insurers but to be honest it a bit clutching at straws and not something you could comfortably say yourself it would have to come from a lawyer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.