Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: worried workmate
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
smila
a guy at work recently cut up another driver the driver got on one side started pointing his finger at him and saying stuff as his window was not open he couldnt hear a word then the car got in front and after a few minutes sped off his worried if his been reported to the police or worse still if the other driver was an off duty copper what would the likely outcome be in either case as his not got internet access ive been asked to find for him( i asked him why he thought it was a copper said the white shirt he was wearing)
jobo
if it was an off duty copper they dont usualaly f & blind out of the window at you ?

if it a MOP and he reports it it your friends word against his and is in all probability going no where

if the police get in touch with him either by letter of in person tell him to say absolutely nothing and come back for advice
smila
how long will he have to wait to see if his in the clear i asked him more about it he said he could of been pointing to the side of the road to park up but as he got infront and then after a few minutes just sped off that got him thinking if it was or wasnt 5th day no letter or knock on door
jobo
14 clear days

if it was a copper he have flashed his warrant, getting out of you car to talk to an angry motorist is something i do, but im quite big and not really very sensible
smila
spoke to him told him he will have to wait 14 days as he was worried text me wrong its been around 21 days
jobo
happy days
smila
is that happy days no need to worry or happy days he might get a shock one day after work as ive told him about my flash and how it might still turn up by the way has anyone had any luck with a nip ever being timed out from what ive read on 1 the woman still got the points
The Rookie
Happy days, to prosecute the registered keeper of the car has to be notifieded of that fact within 14 days, so unless its a lease/hire/co car or he's recently bought it/moved, he's in the clear.

Simon
Steve_Williams
The bad news is that if it was reported as say careless driving or even a public order offence (from what you say he didnt do anything that would equate to threatening behaviour but not to say the other motorist wont make that allegation) to the police then legally they have 6 months to investigate before charge. This is because it is what is called a summary only offence, different rules appy to speeding etc.

The reality is that nothing will come of it, I would say it is a less than 1% chance anything will happen.

I would tell him to forget it, if the police by any chance did want to speak to him, tell him to insist a solcitor is present. If it is at a police station it will be free regardless of means.
nemo
QUOTE (Steve_Williams @ Mon, 4 May 2009 - 09:51) *
The bad news is that if it was reported as say careless driving or even a public order offence (from what you say he didnt do anything that would equate to threatening behaviour but not to say the other motorist wont make that allegation) to the police then legally they have 6 months to investigate before charge.

Careless or inconsiderate driving would still require a NIP to be served on the RK within 14 days of the alleged offence.

QUOTE (Steve_Williams @ Mon, 4 May 2009 - 09:51) *
This is because it is what is called a summary only offence, different rules appy to speeding etc.

Excess speed is an offence which is only tried summarily.
Steve_Williams
You're right Nemo.

Was not with it, thinking of something else. blush.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.