Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No right to camera photo
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
sonnyjim
On Saturday I received a NIP from Staffs. Police for 38mph in a 30 zone caught on camera in Leek.

My car has never been to Leek in the one and a half years I have owned it.

I rang Staffs. central ticket office this morning and was told I could not have a photo, they did tell me it was of the car rear.

I have put my objections to the NIP in writing and now await a responce.

But I always thought you could have a copy of the photo, can anyone advice me please.
2020Hindsight
Easy .
You reply to the NIP saying that your vehicle was not being driven at that place and time indicated on the NIP, so you cannot provide the driver's details for that alleged offence.
Probably best to cover yourself by saying who was driving where at that time if you can to avoid a threat of s 172.
sonnyjim
QUOTE (2020Hindsight @ Mon, 20 Apr 2009 - 18:02) *
Easy .
You reply to the NIP saying that your vehicle was not being driven at that place and time indicated on the NIP, so you cannot provide the driver's details for that alleged offence.
Probably best to cover yourself by saying who was driving where at that time if you can to avoid a threat of s 172.

The alleged offence accured at 0.33 hrs on a Saturday morning.

The car was on the drive and my wife and I were in bed getting our beauty sleep.

We are the only two who have access to the car.

I am new to this site, can you please explain a s 172.
bama
info in the stickies of the speeding forum,
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autoco...md=cat&id=2
neil3841
QUOTE (sonnyjim @ Mon, 20 Apr 2009 - 18:19) *
QUOTE (2020Hindsight @ Mon, 20 Apr 2009 - 18:02) *
Easy .

The alleged offence accured at 0.33 hrs on a Saturday morning.

The car was on the drive and my wife and I were in bed getting our beauty sleep.

We are the only two who have access to the car.

I am new to this site, can you please explain a s 172.

S172 is the request for driver details and must be answered within 28 days however if you are completely sure your car was not involved it is either a mistake or it may have been cloned. Here is a post from another thread made by Andy foster I believe it is relevant here

originally posted by andy foster in another thread

If you and your car were 150 miles away, and you haven't been anywhere near the scene of the crime for several years, then there are essentially 2 possibilities -
the scammers made a mistake - e.g. AB123 CED was caught, scammers misread as AB123 CDE, or
(more likely IMHO) your number plate has been cloned.

If your number plate has been cloned, or might have been cloned, you should contact the scammers and/or the real police a.s.ap.
It is generally advised to keep communications with the scammers to a minimum. As long as your story is true, that advice does not apply to your situation.
Phone the scammers (take the name of the person you speak to, and ideally a reference number) and tell them that you are certain that your vehicle was not and could not have been involved in the alleged offence, and ask them to confirm the registration number. If it is the same as yours, it will need to be reported to the real police - I would expect the scammers to have procedures for this. Ask for a copy of any photos to be sent to you as a matter of urgency, so that you can report it to the police yourself (if someone is taking liberties with your numberplate, you don't want to rely on the scammers to sort it out).
If your plate has been cloned, you should also contact DVLA about getting a new registration issued - otherwise you might get more parking/speeding tickets (which would be a hassle) and get stopped frequently as your plate would show up as possibly cloned on the ANPR systems.

Failure to do so, may reduce your credibility if the speeding allegation (or an s.172 failure to provide information) gets to court.

Oh and you should probably ask a mod to move this to the Speeding and other Criminal Offences forum it will get more resposes there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.