Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caught speeding with no insurance
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
minituremarshall
Hello yes i know i have been a very naughty boy!!! me and my partner where driving from scotland to nottingham. we were going over the a66 when she started feeling increasingly ill. it was about 5 miles b4 scotch corner and there was no hard shoulder. i took over teh drivers position and was on my way to get to the services. as i was going down a hill and overtaking a lorry i wasnt paying attention to my speed at all and as i came past the lorry there was a man in his car with a damn laser gun. i pulled over at teh nect junction as i knew i had been caught and got into his car. he said i was going 98mph and showed me it on the gun which i found seriously hard to believe in a 1litre corsa however i accepted it as i was going down hill. he explained my rights etc and filled out an interview form which i signed. he then said i would be prosecuted for excessive speed and haveing no insurance. my address was wrong on my licence so i changed this immediately and received my new license two weeks after the offence with new address. i have received no NIP or any correspondance from county durham police. i am tempted to ring them to ask if the NIP was sent?? is this a good move? who can i contact? what is the outcome of my offence going to be?county durham is 3 hours from where i live sad.gif Also this is the first time i have ever offended.
davepoth
I'm pretty sure what you got on the roadside was a verbal NIP, the next thing you will get from them is a summons unfortunately. sad.gif

Mr Curiosity
what address did you give the officer at the roadside? Its most probably been served at your old address on your licence. Have you checked at that address? Was your car seized at the time for the no insurance? Have you produced any required documents to get your car back or as stated on the fpn??
nemo
QUOTE (minituremarshall @ Tue, 14 Apr 2009 - 13:24) *
i have received no NIP...

..he then said i would be prosecuted for excessive speed and haveing no insurance.

The post above indicates that you received a verbal NIP at the time of the stop. And where a verbal NIP has been issued, there is no requirement for a follow up by post.

..or any correspondance from county durham police.

It is likely that the next correspondence you receive will be from the magistrates' court in the form of a summons. And that could take anywhere up to 6 and a bit months to come through.

..i am tempted to ring them to ask if the NIP was sent?? is this a good move?

See above - there would be little point in doing so.

what is the outcome of my offence going to be?

A guess, but if convicted:

6-8 points OR discretionary disqualification for using a vehicle without insurance, a maximum fine of £5,000 (likely a few hundred pounds), costs, £15 Victim Support Surcharge.

No additional points for the speeding (although a ban is a possibility), fine typically of 100%-150% of your weekly income (less tax and NI only).

county durham is 3 hours from where i live..

If the court was considering imposing a period of disqualification, then you would be required to attend court for sentencing (irrespective of where you lived).

Also this is the first time i have ever offended.

Or the first time you have been caught ?
minituremarshall
hi thankyou guys for all your help i know its not going to turn out for the good on my behalf. is it true that if i get the points for no insurance then they wouldn't impose points for the speeding. i take it i would just get the fine for that on top? i caused no accident and it was literally drivin for 10 mins. also to answer a previous post they did not take the car of me or impound it he just gave the keys to my girlfriend and said drive on. i was pretty lucky in that case coz we didnt have nearly enough money between us to pay for anything like that.hopefully i will not get a ban but if i do will i need to re sit my test etc??
nemo
QUOTE (minituremarshall @ Tue, 14 Apr 2009 - 15:09) *
is it true that if i get the points for no insurance then they wouldn't impose points for the speeding.

QUOTE (Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988)
28. Penalty points to be attributed to an offence.

(4) Where a person is convicted (whether on the same occasion or not) of two or more offences committed on the same occasion and involving obligatory endorsement, the total number of penalty points to be attributed to them is the number or highest number that would be attributed on a conviction of one of them (so that if the convictions are on different occasions the number of penalty points to be attributed to the offences on the later occasion or occasions shall be restricted accordingly).

QUOTE (minituremarshall @ Tue, 14 Apr 2009 - 15:09) *
hopefully i will not get a ban but if i do will i need to re sit my test etc??

Not unless it is ordered by the court, no.

Out of interest, have you held a full licence for more than 2 years ?
southpaw82
Do be aware though that the court might be sufficiently aggrieved by you speeding whilst uninsured that they just disqualify you outright for the insurance offence (a common practice where no insurance is coupled with another offence).
minituremarshall
hey thanks for your help again yes i have had my licence for 5 years now. i think if i jst plead guilty and say how if i loose my licence it would cause me great hardship etc then hopefully i will just receive points and a fine. like i said this is the first time i have ever been caught speeding or anything and i have no criminal record either so i cant see them being overly harsh etc. i found out my partner is pregnant almost 2 months so that explains her nt feeling well so hopefully i can use this aswell. just cant be arsed waiting 6 months rather get it over with now.
Ocelot
It would be best to say how it would cause hardship to others, such as your pregnant wife, not to you. That tends to be how it works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.