Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remaining criminal offences in decrim parking?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
The Rookie
Background: Local district council has gone decrim (aka profit making) parking control, our parish now has major parking issues being discussed by the old duffers in the parish council, who are threatening to get the police in to target 'illegal parking' (sic). They clearly don't understand decrim regimes and we have no CEO coverage (or mention thereof) so...

What offences can still be targeted by the Police (or Blunkett bobbies) in decrim regimes, I do know obstruction and parking on zig-zags at crossings, any others, for example parking on 'keep clear' zig zags outside schools, anyone have an easy list?

Simon
mustdash
Simon, I think we're pretty close geographically, and all CEO's in Warwickshire are actually employed in essence by the County Council. Anyway, I digress... Im pretty sure Police and PCSO's can issue for double yellow line enforcement if causing an obstruction, parking in a taxi rank (the CEO's employed by my organisation havent been given that power yet I believe - will the same across the County), zig zag lines and general obstruction.....

Give me a couple of hours and I'll speak to someone at work who will give me the definitive list, certainly for Warwickshire...

(Its worth bearing in mind that different Police forces give different powers to their PCSO's).
The Rookie
Thanks MD, I wasn't sure if they were employed by the DC or CC, as you say some PCSO's are 'traffic wardens' some may not be so authorised, however I do know they can't ticket on a DY, just because its a DY for example!

Simon
mustdash
The County Council decides on the decrim and does most of the legislation for it (AIUI anyway). The CEOs have 70% of their salary paid by the CC, and the DC pays the other 30%. West Mids Police give their PCSO's different powers, so yes, some are 'Traffic', others aren't. Warwickshire Police dont have enough staff to be able to differentiate, so all have the same powers - I will be speaking to someone at work later, so will find out for you!
Teufel
if decrim in place police can still isssue for obstruction and the specific offence
of stopping on zebra crossings

stopping on scholl markings could be obstruction

if parking is not a decrim contravention then it is unlikely to be obstruction
The Rookie
OK thanks for that guys, will pen a suitable letter to the old duffers to see what I can shake out!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.