Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN Help
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
pnm
Hi all,

I need a little help.

I have received a PCN for parking in a permit only zone, of which I was unaware, and on asking the warden why I had been issued this he pointed to a sign, which I have since measured, which was over 25 meters away.

I then challenged the warden and explained that there was no way I could have spotted the sign from where I was parked, at the end of the street the sign being towards the middle, he said he agreed with me and I should challenge the ticket, at this point I asked why he gave it to me knowing it was wrong !!

I sent an email challenging the ticket stating that I felt the ticket had been issued illegally and that I was over 25 meters away and that there was no way I could have seen the sign, I also said I wished to complain about the signage in the street and that it should be made so as people parking their cars could see them.

I sent in a picture of where I was parked and in the distance the sign, both highlighted, I received a letter saying my challenge had been overturned and no grounds were found !

So, do I have a good case for challenge ? , how far should signs be ? I was under the impression that they should be spaced so as they could easily be identified, is 25 meters a good distance to identify a small sign ?? what if I were partially blind, in a wheel chair, I would have to patrol each street for signs then put my chair away etc.

Thanks
Paul
Teufel
photos of the area signs/lines would help

and a map
pnm
As requested.

The red circle is the sign, my car was parked in the vacant end area

The view from my car door, as I got out of the car.
quickboy
Do you have a good picture of the sign? I cant see it in your pictures!
clark_kent
QUOTE (pnm @ Mon, 23 Mar 2009 - 18:13) *
what if I were partially blind, in a wheel chair, I would have to patrol each street for signs then put my chair away etc.

I don't think many partially blind people actually drive!
pnm
The sign was fine, I am just annoyed at the way the council have put them up, two signs in the middle of the street and not one at either entrance to the street which would have been more appropriate.
No, I dont have a picture of the sign although I did check that it was a permit only sign at the time of taking the pictures.
bama
Forgive me for asking but how do you know the sign was fine ? have you checked it against those that are authorised by statute ?
pnm
QUOTE (clark_kent @ Mon, 23 Mar 2009 - 20:17) *
QUOTE (pnm @ Mon, 23 Mar 2009 - 18:13) *
what if I were partially blind, in a wheel chair, I would have to patrol each street for signs then put my chair away etc.

I don't think many partially blind people actually drive!

What if I had a poor vision! My eyes are pretty good but are getting worse the older I get, and besides its absolutely outrageous to expect even a person with excellent vision to see those signs at that distance.

Yes, but I cant find any distance info, only info about adequetly positioned etc but no exact distance.
The reply, from my challenge, stated that to put more signs in would "clutter" the street !
If they had put the signs at the entrance to the street then everyone could see them
Teufel
you have a weak claim - its clear that the bay prob has some restrictions
and it does have a sign that you could look for
pnm
So theres a sign, does that mean that every time I park my car I should walk up the street to ensure that no restrictions are in force ? what should I do with my crutches ? leave them in the back until Im sure I can park there then get them out?
As for the bays, shouldnt the restriction, if there is one, be clearly marked? and I believe they have been there for some time with no restrictions
glasgow_bhoy
Get a picture of the sign- and post up the PCN of course! Both sides though. And then you may get a reply. I think its every 30m that signs are required, although I may be wrong, and maybe somebody else can confirm this.

Just for the future, any bay that is marked like that (i.e. maintained) is likely to have parking restrictions, and so you should always check for signs.
pnm
Ok, thanks for that.
As requested.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.