Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: t & c parking
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
ILOVEBOOKS
hi you guys. i recieved a letter today from tcp. its a parking charge notice regarding a ticket my car recieved in a sainsburys car park before xmas. i dont really drive despite the car being registered to myself and i know that the ticket would be from the father of my kids who is the main driver. he does get tickets from time to time and conveniently forgets to tell me.
anyway i know that as a private car park it is the driver who enters the contract and not the owner. (wish id known this before as ive paid these leeches before).and also im not obliged to inform them of the name of the driver - although its tempting.
ive written a letter to this effect, based on a template from money saving forum. before i send it off i just wanted to be reassured that this is the right way to approach this. many thanks

Dear Sir or Madam,

Ticket number:xxxxxx (ISSUED xx/12/08 @ sainsbury xxxxxxxx)

Vehicle registration number:xxxxxxxx

To whom it may concern,

I received said parking ticket(charge notice) in the post on 21ST MARCH 2009, but I will not be paying your demand for payment as I was not the driver of the vehicle at the time in question. I am also under no obligation to disclose who was driving the car so please do not contact me again with regards this matter.

Glacier2
money saving forum

Oh dear!

Save the stamp and don't post that letter. If you do you will end up on their hooked fish list and they will not leave you alone.

Ignore them!
ILOVEBOOKS
thanks for replying, but can you explain more please. i dont want any hassle(legal or otherwise) from these people or from anyone else. especially as it is not my ticket, but, it is my car. why do other sites say to write these letters then.
ps i see you are from plymouth - me too
Glacier2
why do other sites say to write these letters then.

They are grossly misinformed and think that they are morally right. Writing to them only confirms that someone is reading their letters and it simply encourages them more and more to hassle you for money.

They have no legal claim to any money. If you simply ignore them they will send maybe 4 or 5 letters and give up. Each letter will be more threatening and will use red ink and chequered borders. These are all designed to make the ill informed to pay up.

T&C do not do court. They case will fail when countered with a good defence. That is why they don't bother.

Simply ignore everything they send and you will be fine.
Alexis

Good question.

They're from a while back and I suspect they were written when people thought that these companies could be reasoned with. Martin Lewis is great at many consumer subjects, but his parking ticket guide is full of inaccuracies.

The whole thing is a mail scam - they WANT you to contact them. Then they can get a handle on what kind of victim they're dealing with. They hate dealing with somebody who never responds - their letters could be going to the wrong address, they could be dealing with a barrister or a police officer. They just don't know and will just give up and write it off.

For example, your letter says " I am also under no obligation to disclose who was driving the car so please do not contact me again with regards this matter."

Immediately I'd be thinking "here's somebody who's actually thinks we'll just stop contacting them. Internet template, probably doesn't know the legal ins and outs. I'll put them in the high priority pile as they could be made to crack."

Just ignore them. Never get in contact.
ILOVEBOOKS
thanks glacier2, i will go with what you say. it was just the thought of debt recovery and bailiffs do scare me as ive had experience with them before. (nothing to do with tickets). ive also never had any tickets, fines or anything connected to driving / cars. etc and i didnt want any now, especially as its not mine.
a bit of responsibility and a £1 in the meter by the person responsible would have prevented all this! im more angry with him than this greedy company at present.
thanks alexis too, my only concern is that i have paid them in the past online, before i realised that i didnt have to
Alexis
it was just the thought of debt recovery and bailiffs do scare m

That's how debt collectors 'collect' - they scare people with letters even though they have no powers whatsoever.

Bailiffs are a different ball game and become involved if you lose in court and still refuse to pay. No chance of that though.

my only concern is that i have paid them in the past online, before i realised that i didnt have to

Oh dear. If they're organised, they may have a record of your reg number and pursue you with letters for longer.

Hold tight and just ignore them.

Ever tried to get money out of someone? It's nigh on impossible.
emanresu
Next time you go back to this car park, have a look at the signs.

If they are anything like the ones near me, it will say the word "fine" and as we all know there are no private "fines".

I think you'll find this is a slam-dunk win for you.

PS Post up a photo
Alexis
Not really necessary.

TCP are the usual bottom feeding parking company who do nothing but send out letters all day.
ILOVEBOOKS
thanks again folks, i will have a look at the signs next time i go. i will ignore any letters for the time being and if it gets as far as debt collection time then i`ll get back to you again. you were all so quick in replying, its great.what a great site
dave-o
You will get letters from phoney debt collectos.
Only worry if you get actual court papers, which you won't.
Watcher
QUOTE (Alexis @ Sat, 21 Mar 2009 - 16:42) *

Good question.

They're from a while back and I suspect they were written when people thought that these companies could be reasoned with. Martin Lewis is great at many consumer subjects, but his parking ticket guide is full of inaccuracies.

The whole thing is a mail scam - they WANT you to contact them. Then they can get a handle on what kind of victim they're dealing with. They hate dealing with somebody who never responds - their letters could be going to the wrong address, they could be dealing with a barrister or a police officer. They just don't know and will just give up and write it off.

For example, your letter says " I am also under no obligation to disclose who was driving the car so please do not contact me again with regards this matter."

Immediately I'd be thinking "here's somebody who's actually thinks we'll just stop contacting them. Internet template, probably doesn't know the legal ins and outs. I'll put them in the high priority pile as they could be made to crack."

Just ignore them. Never get in contact.

As indeed does the "sticky" at the head of this section (advise writing that is), which is why I suggested someone with 'authority' should perhaps re-write, or at least outline a plan of action as anyone coming here for first advice would be very confused. I was shot down for that suggestion!
ILOVEBOOKS
hi again. just needed some advice that im doing the right thing re the above parking ticket. today i recieved a letter from AA Hutton threatening allsorts (legal proceedings, court orders etc) if i dont pay within 7 days. do i continue to ignore. many thanks
bama
yes.
ILOVEBOOKS
cheers x
dave-o
It says they "may" issue proceedings doesn't it? As in they "won't" but want to try and scare you.
muckychimney
Just to reassure you a little more I was " ticketed " by T&C nearly 2 years ago and .... well i followed the advice off here.... ignored them and they went away tongue.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif
bama
standard for T & C.

Funnily enough the PPCs also know its a scam !!

they only try it on if 'agitated' - or have been drinking Perky juice (ooh, bad image....sorry)
jdfi
If on the other hand you want some fun, then sending a letter like the one you drafted would be guaranteed to get a reaction, and let them waste more stamps. Do ensure that you do NOT put a telephone number on the letter. I'm sure though that you just want a quiet life - in which case ignoring may be a good idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.